Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985, 1987 GL & 1993 Loyale dashboard removal tips?

Hey guys,

I'm going to attempt to install the 1993 Loyale dashboard into a 1985 GL.........and I've never took one out before.

Anybody out got any tips or tricks to make it easier?

Perhaps a diagram of the screw locations would be of great help. Also, is there anything I need to be cautious of?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Gary

I've pulled them.  A lot of things, just take time.  A FSM has helpful information.  Make notes / pictures if you think you might have trouble remembering how things were.

Remove the glove box, and the kick panels and instrument cluster first.  You *might* be able to get it out by just dropping the steering column from it's mounts, but I don't recall. 

• 1 year later...

Gauge cluster ....This is the same as the instrument cluster I presume?  The temperature gauge in a car I looked at is not working.  It was suggested that the gauge cluster needed to be  changed.  But perhaps some other reasons. '

My mechanic , who I use when I can't figure out things myself (and with help from all the minds on this site)  says they are a pain in the rump roast. He doesn't like to work on them. Probably doesn't want customers to be angry when they see his bill for such a job. Any suggestions to make life easier? Some other tests before going to such trouble?

This car I was looking at with a partner needed a Roadworthy to get on the road. Probably no one would notice that the temp. gauge wasn't working. But , for one's own peace of mind, you need to  know if the car was overheating.?

Rae

The gauge or instrument cluster is a small thing compared to replacing the entire dashboard,  which is what the OP was about.  

It's a little fiddly, but not that big of a deal.

If the temperature of the engine goes over normal while low on coolant,  it is a pretty high risk of causing head gasket failure.   It is also too late if you use this to check the coolant level.  But it can save you having to do crank bearings and rings and worse.

20 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

93 loyale dash won't work in an 85.  

Wiring changes.  very small, but they are there.

you need and 85 or 86 only.

Are you saying the later dashboard wont physically fit the '85, or that OP needs to swap over all the electronics to maintain functions?

On 3/4/2019 at 8:09 AM, carfreak85 said:

Are you saying the later dashboard wont physically fit the '85, or that OP needs to swap over all the electronics to maintain functions?

It physically fits.  However, I believe the pinouts of hte dash connectors changed just a bit.  Can't remember what but it's  couple wires.

It could certainly be worked out with some splicing/repining.  I'd need to compare FSMs to tell ya for sure.

Does the 93 loyale Dash even have a Oil pressure or Volt gauge?

My 93 loyale came with that stripped down version instrument cluster.  Oil light, not gauge.  No volts?

I have fsm from 86 and 90, compared everything.   Swapped a few bits around, changed out the switch for the sender, and I now have a full GL instrument cluster in my 93.  The oil switch vs sensor used the same wire, same location.  The volt meter just taps existing wiring.

• Like 1