Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there an igniter for the coil packs on a H6 3.0 engine, if so where is it or does some one have a pic of it ??? Picked up a 01 LL Bean from a lady that said it just died while driving last Oct. Engine cranks like crazy but will not start. I shot some starter fluid in throttle body but still just cranks. Searched the internet for how to test for spark on these hard to get any thing in there coil packs and found no answers. Was thinking about disconnecting one of the coil packs and put an old plug in and have some one crank it over and see if spark is there. Would I have to worry about shorting any thing out ? If I can be sure there is spark my next step will be the fuel pump. Any ideas will be very helpful . thanks  Also showing no codes and engine has 216106 miles on it.

Getting spark, not a strong dark blue spark but there is spark. Pulled a plug and it did not look bad but was soaked with gas. You could shake the plug away from you and see the gas drip. Plugs are Bosh R6W double platinum. So I take it the pump is working and there is spark. So now what ??? What is the gap for these plugs on the 01 3.0 engine ?

OK, put everything back together, make sure the battery has a strong charge, and crank using the 'clear flood' procedure.

HOLDING (not pumping, not halfway, not lifting your foot during cranking....) the gas pedal flat to the floor while cranking signals the ECU to cut fuel. The car may need several revolutions to get the fuel out of the cylinders and re-wet the rings with oil - so, expect a loooong crank followed by some sputtering and then, hopefully, it will start.

Will do. Need to re charge battery. No room to do a compression test. If you have a pic of the tester I can get in there please post a pic. thanks guys

If you can pull the plugs, you can do a compression test.

Just need a tester with a long flexible tube that can thread into the spark plug hole.   The ones that you hold against teh hole are worthless anyhow.

Get a proper tester and then yes you can comp test it.  This is a basic one.  Longer hose would be better, but this should work.

https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3612-Compression-Tester-Piece/dp/B000EVU89I/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1498501232&sr=1-4&keywords=compression+tester

Edited by Gloyale