Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removed airbags, horn worked for one day, then stopped working.

Hello, me again. With more problems. 

(Thanks to all that have helped me, with previous problems!)

So, I had the pesky airbag light come on, one day, randomly. Anytime the car is running now, the light is always on.

I took out the steering wheel airbag, and passenger airbag, since I was afraid of them just going off one day, and causing an accident. 

Well, the horn worked afterwards, but now is failing to work at all. The airbag light is still on (of course it is, I took the airbags out). 

So, I did some reading, and saw that the clockspring could have failed.

I wonder how that would apply in my situation..I didn't take the steering wheel off.

I checked the fuse, its good. I have assumed the relay is good, but I'm not really good with relay testing. (I'll try to honk the horn and touch the relay to feel for a click)

I would guess just try to replace it with another relay and see if it changes. If not, test the clockspring?

But is there a way to test the clockspring, or do you just have to replace it and hope it works? 

I do have a test light and a multi-meter tester. Also, I'm going to continue trying to search for all answers I can find.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, tips, advice, etc.! 

I didn't have a day I could take it to get it scanned, due to work schedule, and I didn't want to risk the airbag to popping in my face. I have had bad experiences with airbags. I honestly feel safer without them. I appreciate the concern, but I am more worried about the horn not working. I'll do some checking about the clock spring, and also, thanks for the reply!

It does not require "scanning". The SRS system is self-diagnostic. You just ground a pin on a diagnostic plug under the dash and the light will flash the codes to you. 

Unexpected deployments are basically unheard of. You need not fear them "going off". If the light is on then the system is 100% disabled and cannot deploy. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder