Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale EA82 Getting Low Mileage?

Hi Guys. I just drove my 1991 Loyale from Portland to Ashland. I tracked my mileage and it seems that I got about 20.44/gal. There is quite a bit of uphill driving south of Roseburg but that still seems a little low.

The car runs ok and I don't have any obvious signs of a problem. What do you guys think? .

• Like 1

I second Dee2, plus loaded vehicle weight? Running A/C or heater in general?Tire pressure? ARCO gasoline?

1993 loyale 4wd 5spd wgn ea82

I noticed my milage is going back up coming out of winter... I was averaging 240mi right before E with 2 gallons left in the tank this last winter. Without heater on I'm going back up to close to 270mi +/- max I ever got was 333 miles when the light came on to fill up. ;)

• Like 1

So it turns out that the AC condenser was running due to what I believe to be a switch that never fully turns the AC off. That will actually be another post. I am going to replace the O2 sensor and see what what happens. I did actually get better mileage with the AC disconnected on the trip back up to Portland. Honestly, my numbers look to be about the same as Lendawg's. If there is any change after O2 sensor I will post. Thanks!

• Like 1

So it looks like I was doing my calculations wrong. I was dividing the mileage usong 15.9 gal instead of the 12.5-13 gal that the tank is actually taking on fills when showing empty. Getting ~27 mpg or better. Thanks!

Edited by kmpdx