Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mechanical fan

My mechanical fan was brittle and exploded. Luckily nothing damaged the radiator, but I can find a replacement for the life of me. Hitting the junk yard tomorrow, any other ideas? I have NO IDEA how to wire a dual electric fan into this rig. Please advise, this is my daily driver and watching her run hot is breaking my heart. 1979 BRAT.

I've found plenty that can bolt on but none that fit in the space I need. Smallest I've seen is a 12in fan online, will that fit?? Want to be sure before I spend 60 friggin bucks.

Any advice on how to do that? I have no idea what I'm doing and would be more comfortable just dropping a new fan blade on it, but I'm open to learning if you can point me in the right direction for the info. Most stuff I've seen online is for a specific vehicle and I don't know how easily the info ports over.

If you go electric, be sure to get a good one like a Spal. Avoid the cheap eBay fans. You can either mount them with the zip tie like things they supply with the install kits, or fab something yourself. Most subaru's have a spot in the radiator for a fan switch so if you don't have one, get one and wire it through a relay. Plenty of info out there on how to wire the relay. If your radiator does not have the boss, you can get a fan controller from Derale that has a sensor that gets mounted in the radiator,