Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My mom passed down her 91 Legacy for my son's to drive.  She originally bought it when it was brand new.  She said one day the vent would not put out head or cold on any setting.  I was sure the it was the blower motor so i bought a new one.  We took out the old one and for the heck of it tested it and it worked.  So now I'm stumped.  Will check the fuses again, but think we covered that.  The guages light up when you hit the A/C or Heat,  but it just kinda makes a sad whine from inside the dash and then nothing...no air.

familyguy,

Either the heater core is plugged or the blend door of the HVAC system is not opening fully or at all. It doesn't matter how hard/fast the fan blows, if the air doesn't go through the heater core to the vents you will get no heat.

Gene

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar problem in a 97 legacy L. Blower works but no heat, moving temperature lever seems to do nothing. Is that lever a mechanical cable or an electric motor? Does the whole dash have to come off to access the blend door?

Check the temp of your heater core hoses. Might be a clogged heater core. I suggest you make a separate thread as this has nothing to do with a the OP's lack of airflow problem. And a 97 is only loosely similar to a 91.

GD

after reading the post from gbhrps I thought a stuck blend door might explain both . Maybe I dont understand  how the door works.  Also hoping family guy might give some tips on opening up the dash.

Edited by pstanstill

I think the original poster is saying that the blower DOES NOT come on when he turns the fan on.  I had this problem on my '92 and it turned out to be a wiring (actually connector plug) issue.  Of course there are other reasons for this problem.

Looks like OP never came back. Maybe he'll return to this thread in the fall when cold weather starts creeping back in. Blower motor resistor is common in other Subarus - how about 91 legacys?

would still work on high.

My guess is the relay is dead