Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the story in a nutshell:

My current 2nd gen 1995 EJ20 legacy SW (i'm in europe..) is just fine mechanically, the only reason i'm thinking of changing it are interiors in really bad shape and an AC system that cant hold a charge for more than a month, just the kind of stuff i hate working on....

would like to go buy a 1st gen like my first leg, but these are becoming super rare here if not downright impossible to find... 

Came across this my 2000 3rd gen leg with 100k miles, only issue is that it's a EJ251 (i guess)

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/subaru-legacy-lpg-grey-f4385e51-ed8c-d83f-e053-e250040a8b5f?cldtidx=3

waht do you guys say? worth taking the risk of a car with the 2.5L engine or better keep looking for a EJ20 engined one? (EJ22 are almost non existent in europe)

tnxs!

Edited by turboguzzi

here, the a/c system leaks respond well to replacement of 2 o-rings at the compressor - easy. Some folks replace those 2, and the Schrader valves. Charge with the volume listed on the label underhood.

I have had to do this too both my 03 and my 06 - holding charge well now.

You CAN of course , make the repairs,evacuate (I rented a vac pump from a parts store)  to both check for leaks and remove moisture, then charge. You can also charge with one can of refrigerant with a UV dye so future leaking is easier to locate.

read here; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/43428-diy-c-air-conditioning-leak-refrigerant-repair-5-less-15-minutes-less.html?highlight=diy+a%2Fc+valve+o-ring

hopefully someone with more experience will respond and address your other question as well.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

tnxs texan, but the car had  a light front collision in it's past so it could be the A/C radiator too.

and like i said, car interiror is kind of tired too, finding a decent driver seat quite difficult, no easy fix for that

so back to my initial question.....

go for a car with ej251 or not ?

Edited by turboguzzi

Hi,

Do the Italian Subies have the Phase 1 >>> Phase 2 transition around '99, too? If so, that 251 won't work well or @ all in the '95 due the vast electronic differences. I doubt the Intake Manifold fits from your EJ20 either...that was another P1>P2 'gotcha'.

I think he means he'd take the whole car.  Asking if he should commit to a 2.5.  Swapping rides not, swapping motors

I think he means he'd take the whole car.  Asking if he should commit to a 2.5.  Swapping rides not, swapping motors

Indeed...too much swapping going on in my head w/the rocks.

Thanks

Edited by wtdash

indeed, asking myself and forum members if to let go off my 2nd gen leg and buy that 3rd gen 2.5 leg in the ad :)

it's got already the Liquid Petroleum Gas kit installed, like my current car has, which cuts fuel costs by half here, so that's a big plus. and with about 120K miles its just run in :)

think i am going to see the car anyway.

but are there any immediate signs if the motor has HG problems like bubbles in the radiator or water condensation in the oil cap?

Edited by turboguzzi