Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size differences US and EU

I have a 2009 OBW (2003-2009 model), now I am in the hunt for new tires. Originally the car was delivered with Geolandar g900 215-55-R17 tires. Unfortunately this is not a very common size over here. However if I check cars101 the US models were supplied with 225-55-R17, which also here is a way more common size.

I can not imagine it would not fit, even the rims are 17jj so those are the same too. I am not interested in a super correct speedo, now it is about +8% at 100 km/h

Are there suspension differences that could explain the wider tire would fit? My winter tires are 225-55-R16 so one inch smaller

hei river

long time.... does that OBW run on LPG too?

dont know about Holland but here in italy you can get fined for non std tire diemnsions, insurance could ever refuse compensation in an accident.

had at least one routine police check where the officer compared whats written in the car documents to the actual tire size....

maybe in NL they are more forgiving

HI,

If your speedo is off 8% w/those tires, than something's not right. They sound too small/short. Did you verify this w/a GPS/ Phone App?

Are you sure those 215/55R-17 are correct? What's shown on the driver's side door jam (in the UsA it lists tire sizes)?

I ran an 1" taller tire on my last Subaru and that was off 8%, but expected.

You can use something like this to compare tire sizes: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

The suspension shouldn't matter on the same vehicle....might be some changes to the inner fender wells so the tires don't rub, but unlikely.

The 225/55R-17 should fit no problem, IMHO.

And the Legacy / Outback year ranges for USA were 2000-2004, 2005-2009, 2010-2014, etc. ....every 5 years....Japan/JDM models are/were? one year ahead of USA. 

Hi Guzzi, or Bongiorno,

Yes I run on LPG with the 2.5, these cars are not fun on gasoline here, as tax goes to CO2 and weight (not engine size as Italy is I think). (I have a GSI-Flex lpg system without valve saver as I think it is not necessary, it runs about 11L 100km).

I can run any tire I would want to in size as long as I do not damage the roads (no spikes).

hei river

long time.... does that OBW run on LPG too?

dont know about Holland but here in italy you can get fined for non std tire diemnsions, insurance could ever refuse compensation in an accident.

had at least one routine police check where the officer compared whats written in the car documents to the actual tire size....

maybe in NL they are more forgiving

So I checked it.

Currently I still run winter tires which still have 5 mm of thread (was 8 or 9 when new) which are 225/55/R16 (and have 807 rev/mile) When I drive 80 on GPS (straight good lock 24 sats) it is 88 on speedo, which is a good 10%!!!

Original size is 215/55/R17 which is 790 revs/mile and speedo should be 6 to 7% off which is normal here.

If I would mount 225/55/R17 than it is 777 revs/mile and speedo still shows about 3% to much. However this tire is a full Inch taller than my current winter tire! My only worry is, will it clear the strut base and the fender inside? 

I will try to measure some with a spacer being a half inch, the width is the same as the winter tire only it reaches half inch higher on top. Ground clearance increases half inch too i think.

HI,

If your speedo is off 8% w/those tires, than something's not right. They sound too small/short. Did you verify this w/a GPS/ Phone App?

Are you sure those 215/55R-17 are correct? What's shown on the driver's side door jam (in the UsA it lists tire sizes)?

I ran an 1" taller tire on my last Subaru and that was off 8%, but expected.

You can use something like this to compare tire sizes: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

The suspension shouldn't matter on the same vehicle....might be some changes to the inner fender wells so the tires don't rub, but unlikely.

The 225/55R-17 should fit no problem, IMHO.

And the Legacy / Outback year ranges for USA were 2000-2004, 2005-2009, 2010-2014, etc. ....every 5 years....Japan/JDM models are/were? one year ahead of USA.