Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air bag light on no codes wont blink

Ive got an 03 outback wagon in the shop and did heater core now air bag light is on and wont blink the light when jumping diag. I suspect I connected a connector that I should not have and put it in programing mode? any clues? I remember plugging all the yellow conectors in and checking they were tight. fun part is light is on but trying to pull codes yields light on steady. need this thing out of my bays asap

Two green connectors are diagnostic connectors that flash everything are under drivers side knee.  I had mine on that was the front seat connector that everytime I move the seat the airbag light would come on.  Disconnected the connector and reconnected it and airbag light went out.

Assuming you moved the passenger seat to change the heater core maybe take a look at that one

Did not remove any of the seats just the dash. I distinctly remember reconnecting all the yellow connectors and making sure they were seated. Ill reiterate, its air bag light IS on and STAYS on with key in run position no matter what you do with the diag connector. Either the module is missing a plug and not telling the dash its alive and ok or IDK. Im pulling diagrams and checking the module for power and gnds. I was hoping to find a suby tech say Oh Yea I know exactly why it does that. ther are no eng codes or other modules not working only air bag light on. Can suby software and my Jtool read the air bag ?

Yes the horn works. I did not remove the column only dropped it to the floor. Have another ru for parts I was going to yank eng and trans to put in a VW bug that ive pulled the srs module and swapped. same thing. swapped the inst cluster same thing. checked green wire going upto cluster from srs module connector its grounded. I will do some more testing this morning and let ya know. seems like when I need help im screwed =/ I always get the REALLY complicated ones =)

Being a master tech w 38 years exp Id think Id be smart enough to not do this to myself =) Ive even ran it by My award winning master tech teacher and hes stumped.

Edited by Madspeed

Did you remember to plug the module back in?

I'm pretty sure its under the radio unit (below the center console piece)

Might explain why its on and won't flash.

Also, on an 02. I'm pretty sure you can get air bag codes through the obd2 connector. With appropriate scan tools.

If you don't have access to the scan tools, I understand your method of choice.

Did not remove any of the seats just the dash. I distinctly remember reconnecting all the yellow connectors and making sure they were seated. Ill reiterate, its air bag light IS on and STAYS on with key in run position no matter what you do with the diag connector. Either the module is missing a plug and not telling the dash its alive and ok or IDK. Im pulling diagrams and checking the module for power and gnds. I was hoping to find a suby tech say Oh Yea I know exactly why it does that. ther are no eng codes or other modules not working only air bag light on. Can suby software and my Jtool read the air bag ?

I meant move the seat not remove the seat.  In my 03 Forester I have gotten the airbag light after adjusting the seat forward or back

I meant move the seat not remove the seat.  In my 03 Forester I have gotten the airbag light after adjusting the seat forward or back

If this was the case then the light would flash codes when I put it in diag mode. It stays on solid no matter what

Did you remember to plug the module back in?

I'm pretty sure its under the radio unit (below the center console piece)

Might explain why its on and won't flash.

Also, on an 02. I'm pretty sure you can get air bag codes through the obd2 connector. With appropriate scan tools.

If you don't have access to the scan tools, I understand your method of choice.

I have a current Modis and it does not have that feature it says how to put it in diag mode via the jumper in the plug. Launch is same shite no bueno. Can I do it via Jbox pass through and Subaru software? I believe i have hacked suby software on my l/t at home

Or fuse is blown.

But I'm pretty sure you need a scanner to read codes from air bag.

I didn't even think air bag would flash like the check engine light.

Power and grounds are at the correct terminals at this SRS module Connector in the correct pins back probing the plug and yes its plugged in. I even tried the other srs module and dash.. putting both units in the other suby I have yields the correct flashing of srs module. Its a wiring issue. Something was connected that shouldn't be or not connected that should. I was really hoping a suby tech would say OH YEA I KNOW WHAT CAUSES THAT.  then we could all call me a fool and laugh about it =) Ya know this is the Ultimate sub board :rolleyes:

The launch can't get into the air bag system? Must be a cheaper version.                                                                           The Launch is not the cheap one it was thousands

Yeah idk about getting it to flash etc. I really didn't think it was possible. If it does i wanna know how you did it lol.                                                 You dont know how to get the air bag light to blink codes? Really?  Google it then get back to me =)  thanks for your input I apriciate it

All I would say is dig into the parts car and see if something is plugged in differently.                                                  This is exactly what I am doing. i was like I said hoping to have a real Suby tech in here by now =) Again thnk you for your input I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Which diag plugs are you working with? SRS is in the small black 6-pin plug.

The white plug above the right shin as per manufacture.  I fixed it.  yellow srs to bcm plug behind left kick trim green latch not latched on the connector.  this crap is hard to figure out using non oem diagrams and information. FFS why do we pay so much for alldata or mitchell. This is my life =) If I cant fix it it seems nobody can.  and HAH I caused this misery to myself by not latching the connector. probably took a phone call.

Thanks again for everyone's input

We certainly can't fix it, we don't have the car in front of us! Glad you found the issue and posted an update.

Shouldn't be that difficult to get codes. Pin in the diagnostic connector just needs to be grounded to get the light to flash. Possible the ground for the diagnostic pin is bad or there's a break in the wire between the connector and the airbag module.

Looks like they changed the diagnostic connector in the legacy after 2000. White with 8 pins.