Ultimate Subaru Message Board

At the junkyard today, looking for a trans for my SVX, was offered a '98 4EAT w/4:11 final drive, went to look at remains of car (Engine long gone). Could have been an Impreza or WRX.  Trans seems reasonably priced, but I held my fire, thinking probably belonged to kid who  em, might have not treated the thing very gently.  Question in my mind, is WRX auto box any stronger/weaker than say and Outback box?  No-one seems to know...

My driver is an '96 Legacy Brighton, 2.2 and 5MT, getting old.  I noticed that the mystery chassis has adjustable KYBs, some kind of progressive rate springs, and 2-pot calipers w/Subaru cast into them.  Will any of this high zoot stuff bolt to my old Legacy wagon, it needs some help, and, as the saying goes, if I'm gonna fool with it, no point in leaving it stock..

The WRX wasn't offered in the US until 2002, so if it's a 98 it isn't likely to be a WRX...

You also need a phase 1 transmission for a SVX, and as such a WRX transmission isn't going to work anyway (unless you want to change wiring and stuff...).

Phase 1 autos don't have an external spin-on filter, phase 2 autos have a spin on filter on the passenger side.

You probably already know this, but make sure to grab the matching rear diff with your new trans. You can also get a legacy GT, outback, or forester auto for 4.44 gears.

At the junkyard today, looking for a trans for my SVX, was offered a '98 4EAT w/4:11 final drive, went to look at remains of car (Engine long gone). Could have been an Impreza or WRX.  Trans seems reasonably priced, but I held my fire, thinking probably belonged to kid who  em, might have not treated the thing very gently.  Question in my mind, is WRX auto box any stronger/weaker than say and Outback box?  No-one seems to know...

'98 means it's out of a Legacy or Impreza w/the 2.2. Was the car's body thrashed? If not, it could be in there due a failed 4EAT....but not common. 

What's the ODO show? Did you check/smell the ATF? Drain a bit out/inspect the drain plug? I'd suspect (for an SVX) you'd also need the flexplate from the 2.2 - TC's on the 2.2 and 2.5's are different size....but that likely went w/the missing engine>>>and the rear diff, as mentioned.

BTW, I don't know (much  @ all ) about the SVX's rear pinion flange bolt spacing, but it changed in '95/'96 on other Subarus...you can -probably- move yours to the 4.11 rear diff, but again....not sure.

In this case, I'd pass due the 'high zoot' stuff you found. This may have had an engine swap that taxed that ol' Auto.

Personally, I'd hold out for an '96-'98 OB, (maybe GT) or '98 Forester 4EAT. Less likely to be abused and should provide some extra kick in the SVX. I'd pull the Carfax or Autocheck of the donor car - sometimes you can get service history (esp. w/the Carfax). (For <$10....if you search.)

My driver is an '96 Legacy Brighton, 2.2 and 5MT, getting old.  I noticed that the mystery chassis has adjustable KYBs, some kind of progressive rate springs, and 2-pot calipers w/Subaru cast into them.  Will any of this high zoot stuff bolt to my old Legacy wagon, it needs some help, and, as the saying goes, if I'm gonna fool with it, no point in leaving it stock..

A '98 Impreza would have different rear strut top mounts/ top hats than your '96....you could swap yours over (depending on spring taper?) and they'd bolt up. The  2-pot will bolt up WITH the caliper brackets, but will likely require 16" wheels to clear. You can measure the diameter of the rotor to figure that out.

GL,

TD

'98 means it's out of a Legacy or Impreza w/the 2.2. Was the car's body thrashed? If not, it could be in there due a failed 4EAT....but not common. 

What's the ODO show? Did you check/smell the ATF? Drain a bit out/inspect the drain plug? I'd suspect (for an SVX) you'd also need the flexplate from the 2.2 - TC's on the 2.2 and 2.5's are different size....but that likely went w/the missing engine>>>and the rear diff, as mentioned.

BTW, I don't know (much  @ all ) about the SVX's rear pinion flange bolt spacing, but it changed in '95/'96 on other Subarus...you can -probably- move yours to the 4.11 rear diff, but again....not sure.

In this case, I'd pass due the 'high zoot' stuff you found. This may have had an engine swap that taxed that ol' Auto.

Personally, I'd hold out for an '96-'98 OB, (maybe GT) or '98 Forester 4EAT. Less likely to be abused and should provide some extra kick in the SVX. I'd pull the Carfax or Autocheck of the donor car - sometimes you can get service history (esp. w/the Carfax). (For <$10....if you search.)

A '98 Impreza would have different rear strut top mounts/ top hats than your '96....you could swap yours over (depending on spring taper?) and they'd bolt up. The  2-pot will bolt up WITH the caliper brackets, but will likely require 16" wheels to clear. You can measure the diameter of the rotor to figure that out.

GL,

TD

The car is a wreck, hit something in LF corner and rolled. It is/was a Subaru, and was red.  I was thinking trans may be kid damaged, but it was working well enough to crash.. Thanks for tip on brakes, I'' go forth and measure, but no chance for those brakes on my 14 inch wheels.