Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2012 Outback 2.5 odd noise help

I have an odd noise coming from the rear passenger and I thing occasionally from the rear driver ONLY when accelerating AND turning at the same time.  Especially from a stop or uphill.  It does not seem to happen UNLESS I'm making a 90 degree turn or greater.  It does not happen every time which is frustrating to try to replicate for my mechanic.  The sound is not rubbing and does not sound like metal on metal.  It has a LOW vibration tone to it.  Not clunking.....  It sounds and feels like the wheel in question is having a brake applied to it or the opposite as in trying to spin but it is being held back.  the sound is kinda like the noise your lips would need to make in a musical horn mouth piece.  The brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr sound but not very loud.  It is felt but subtly.  Sorry for that description but its the best I could do.  ANY help would be great to direct myself or my mechanic would be greatly appreciated.  I should also note that the only other issue is a slight wobble at 65 - 70, I have only owned the car for a month, I don't know any history or maintenance, and it has 58K miles on it.

Yup, its an automatic with the cvt. 

Not sure about the whole FWD fuse thing as I'm not seeing anything labeled as AWD or FWD on either cover.  

UPDATE: I researched that a bit and it appears that the AWD fuse bypass was not done in my year.  Manual states to simple put back tire on front and spare on back only.   

All four tires are the same and appear to have even wear.

Additionally the spare appears to be unused leading me to believe that my issue was not caused by over use of the spare.

Edited by mbpauly
  • Like 1

yup, no problems with that.  Primarily happens when accelerating up a hill AND turning.  Or accelerating a bit harder than normal AND turning.  And again, it needs to be a fairly sharpe turn for it to happen.  No jerking or bucking occurs.  just a soft vibration and medium level noise. 

No, it sounds more like rubbing.  Although I'm confident that nothing is rubbing.  if feels and sounds like the rear tire is being braked on the turn while accelerating and the sound matches that as well.  I keep thinking its an AWD problem in that the power is being improperly distributed or something.  

well if it sounds like a duck, and walks like a duck... why not pull the wheel and check to make sure that the brake caliper or pad isn't getting locked up. Lubricate all points and make sure the pads float nicely.

I had a set of aftermarket pads where the "ears" were so heavily coated with paint that they got hung up.

also check to make sure the dust shield hasn't been bent.

Does it change the symptom if you try braking under the turning/accelerating condition?

Edited by brus brother
  • Like 1