Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all, and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I own a 2001 Subaru Forester S. it has a little over 224,000 miles on it now, and its currently not doing so hot. Was driving from Silverthorne to Denver when my check engine light started to blink. I took the nearest exit, pulled off to the side, and did a code scan. There were some 02 sensor codes being thrown that I already knew about, but the new ones were a misfire in cylinder 1 and 2, cooling fan 1 control circuit, and HO2S code (i do apologize but I can't recall the exact code for that one). I checked the oil and it was dryer than a nun (but no oil light came on) so a friend came with some oil and we filled it back up and let it idle for a bit, but there was still knocking. I checked the spark plugs in 1 and 2 and they were fine, and the wires were replaced at the beginning of the summer. Is there a way that having the low oil could have caused the misfires? What does the interwebs suggest? Thanks for your help! Also, my knowledge of things of the mechanical nature is still fairly new and expanding, so i appreciate any patience shown if I ask questions that may seem stupid.

How much oil needed to be added, when I assume there was nothing showing on the dip stick?? Was there any knocking prior to this incident?? It is still possible that the knocking is not from the main bearings, but from a timing belt tensioner. The sound is nearly the same.

Cylinder 1 and 2 share one side of the coil pack. You should start there. Sounds like possibly the coil pack has failed.

You should get a professional opinion. If it's knocking and needed a whole bunch of oil (3+ quarts) then you have killed it running it out of oil. No one to blame for that but the operator.

GD