Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Posted this the other day on another post:

"I have a similar issue (shaking from side to side) on my 03 Forester and it is related to the rear lateral link bolt/knuckle interface.  If you lift the wheel you can move the wheel sideways and see the aft end of the knuckle move around the lateral link bolt."

Finally got around to fixing it the last few days.  I knew the Knuckle was likely toast (Lateral Link bolt holes were egg shaped) so I bit the bullet and bought a new knuckle, bearing, hub, brake backing plate, seals, and of course the Lateral Link Bolt/Nut Washers/Bushings all from Subaru).

I used a cut off disk to cut through the Lateral Link bolt and a propane torch to burn out the Lateral Link Bushings.  Used a nut and bolt to pull in the new lateral link bushings after applying some silicone lubricant.

Having read a number of posts over the years about how difficult the lateral link bolt/bushings were to get out I decided to bite the bullet and get all new stuff.  Was not the cheapest way to get the job done but I know that it was done right with quality parts.

The thing that helped was buying a wheel bearing from Subaru.  The new ones have a bit of a reduction in the middle of the bearing making it easier to install.  The cheap Chinese bearings do not have that feature.

post-25532-0-93347300-1499122089_thumb.jpg                post-25532-0-15525000-1499122306_thumb.jpg

Chinese Ones                        Subaru Style

I used my Harbor Freight bearing kit to install the new bearing and hub. Worked like a charm.

post-25532-0-96455300-1499122454_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike104
  • Like 1

I wonder if for some of these things silicone dielectric grease wouldn't work better?

I'm trying some out on my forester hatch latch.

I'm not sure anything other than removing that bolt every year cleaning and liberally applying anti seize isn't the option that works best for us that live in salt states.  Guess I could move to the Southwest where it doesn't snow!

I've started using a good grade of marine grease instead of anti-seize. It seems to stay in place much better even on fasteners running in saltwater. The added bonus is, it doesn't seem to automatically GET ON EVERYTHING as soon as you open the bottle!!

• Like 1

I work with a guy that used to work in a literal salt mine, underground, salt in air and high humidity. He said all the fancy crap they would use on electrical connections sucked compared to dielectric grease, so I'm giving it a try when a convenient test case comes along. I wouldn't say use it where actual lubrication is required, but if something just has to sit there and look pretty I'll give it a shot!

• Like 1