Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 brat

My brat has been running good the bad I will go though everything adjust and then it seems fine and then on another day crappy again.

What it dose it act like it is starving for fuel once it warms up it ran good ???

The other day I took off it started spitting and sputtering and then died it acted like fuel pump I change it in the poses I discovered groves in the distributor cap.

After market crap got one the fit better was able to get it to run like a top in the driveway took off down the road in just a little bit it started spitting and sputtering and then died would not start after that.

Has any body experience any thing like this??????????

I would hate to let my Dad brat die after he had it from the beginning and passed it on to me

Craig 

DadsBrat,

Without seeing or hearing it, I'd suspect a clogged fuel filter <backflush it or replace it>.

The 84 brat is carb'ed so maybe there is some varnish inside the carb. Run some carb cleaner with the engine idling.

Ask your Dad to help you,  He gave you that car because he loves you very much. He'll want to spend time with you trying to figure it out together.

Well I have been trying all day I check coil distributor it seems to be fine,I pulled the top of the carb. check the float and raise the level a little it started up and ran but to much fuel going in the carb. adjusted down a little would not start carb is off and apart little dirt nothing that should keep it from running ????????????????   

• 3 weeks later...