Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber to spfi harness help

I got a 1985 GL with a Weber on it and I just got a 91 loyal for free converting the 85 to EFI if anybody has a write up that would be awesome all the links I found take me to a dead page I got the harness out and all cut up and we put back together just wondering what gives power to the ECU (what pin what wires) also do I need any of the relays I'm leaving my old wiring harness for the dash in the lights in the starter all hooked up just running the ECU to the sensors and fuel pump I can send pictures of what I have done I don't know how to put them in this message but I can text them or message them to somebody if that'll help thank you for your time and expertise hope someone gets back soon

Edited by pbilt

Best bet would have been to leave the Loyale Fuel pump and Ignition relay int eh harness, and just put BATT and IG.SW,  and GRD to the relays.  

Don't have the time to look up all the pins on the ECU but I have FSMs you can look at if you are anywhere near Corvallis.

Other things you'll need besides the wiring harness strip.

**   EFI Fuel pump from the Loyale.  Transfer over the F.I hoses from the Loyale too.  Get the fuel filter and it's bracket but might want ta new filter.  You may even want to get the whole gas tank swapped as the EFI one has baffles and larger outlet and return lines.

**  MAF and airbox.  Get the inner fender snorkle/silencer too.  It's useful for short watercrossings.  

**  Loyale Ignition Coil.  With Transitor.

**  Pull the dash, and install a pin/wire to the harness for both VSS speed signal, and CEL.  These will be at/in the round connectors on the back of the dash.  Neither are critical for running but without VSS will not run as well and might get poor mileage.

**  Add a spade "doubler" to the starter signal terminal at the starter.  OR ....  find the starter wire on the back of the Ig switch and be ready to splice to it for your starter signal.  This will be for the "start" signal wire to the SPFI ECU.  Provides enrichment for starting cycle.  Hard starts if you don't hook it up but not critical.  Run the wire to one of these or any other source of 12v during cranking.

I was planning on leaving the harness that goes to the old ECU in the 85 to my headlights and all the old harness and just run the 91 ECU with a new harness to the sensors the old wiring in 85 is all completely still intact untouched the 91 loyal I already stripped the ignition coil distributor intake manifold harness and ECU I'm going to run the 91 loyal fuel pump probably just hot wired through the fuse box

Edited by pbilt

The 85's ECU is irrelevant already if you've got a weber.  It's junk.  take it out so you can mount the SPFI ECU there.

The thing is, the 85 wiring harness doesn't have a proper fuel pump or Ignition relay.  (Closest it has is the Fuel pump "rev sensor" relay)

You are going to need the ones from tHe loyale.  If you've chopped em out, you will need to rewire them in.

Leaving the power supply chain intact eliminates problems getting power to all of the sensors and solenoids.  Cutting anything between the Ignition relay and the ECU, or from teh ECU to engine is counterproductive.  But not irreversible.

DO NOT HOTWIRE THE FUEL PUMP TO RUN WHEN KEY ON.  USE THE ECU TO CONTROL A RELAY.  THIS IS A BIG SAFETY ISSUE.  YOU DON"T WANT THE FUEL PUMP TO KEEP RUNNING IN A CRASH.

Ok I may have messed up big then I was going to run an inertia switch to the fuel pump but I already cut the relays out what wires/relay is for the ignition the only reason why I wanted to leave the old harness in there so I didn't need to rewire the fuse box for all my lights and blinkers and wipers and what not

Edited by pbilt

I'm having issues with the ignition system in the Weber setup I've talked to all kinds of people nobody can figure it out what's going on is at the base of every spark plug you know how there's a washer that goes on the base of the plug where that washer seats to the head there's a ring of electricity going around all four spark plugs also when the electricity leaves the distributor you can see the electricity flowing on the outside of the wire all the way down to the plug I've done new coil new pickup new plugs new wires pretty much entire ignition systems been replaced check all grounds added to ground straps to each head nothing fixes it I'v taking into multiple electrical shops and nobody can figure it out. With the SPFi set up everything is replaced harness grounds coil distributor everything that's the main reason why I want to do the swap plus I hate rebuilding carburetors everything about a carburetor sucks

I have multiple threads on here explaining the electrical problem on the 85 nobody on here could figure it out either I'll post a link to my to my threads to see if one of you guys can figure it out and there's a couple other people on here that have the same issue and they never posted a fix

the thread just died

Here is one from another user on here that sounds exactly like the issue I'm having

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/139106-light-show/

Here's the thread I posted about the electrical issue

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/163231-electrical-or-carb-issue-85gl-18-weber-swap/?fromsearch=1 I appreciate everything you guys are doing taking the time to read my post and give your input helps a lot

It should if the entire ignition system harness distributor grounds and coil circuit and everything els gets changed I don't see why it wouldn't fix the problem unless the problem is that the spark plugs aren't grounding in the head which I don't see possible the electrical issue to me seems like it has to be an open short or positive short somewhere in the coil circuit I got a free car just sitting here that I'm using for parts so I'm not out any money messing around with it is anybody know what for relays are under the hood there's one with a blue connector there's one with a white connector there's one with the green connector there's one with the black connector what relay do I need to tie into the harness for the ignition I don't care about the fuel pump I'm running inertia switch

It should if the entire ignition system harness distributor grounds and coil circuit and everything els gets changed I don't see why it wouldn't fix the problem unless the problem is that the spark plugs aren't grounding in the head which I don't see possible the electrical issue to me seems like it has to be an open short or positive short somewhere in the coil circuit I got a free car just sitting here that I'm using for parts so I'm not out any money messing around with it does anybody know what for relays are under the hood there's one with a blue connector there's one with a white connector there's one with the green connector there's one with the black connector what relay do I need to tie into the harness for the ignition I don't care about the fuel pump I'm running inertia switch

It should if the entire ignition system harness distributor grounds and coil circuit and everything els gets changed I don't see why it wouldn't fix the problem unless the problem is that the spark plugs aren't grounding in the head which I don't see possible the electrical issue to me seems like it has to be an open short or positive short somewhere in the coil circuit I got a free car just sitting here that I'm using for parts so I'm not out any money messing around with it does anybody know what four relays are under the dash there's one with a blue connector there's one with a white connector there's one with the green connector there's one with the black connector what relay do I need to tie into the harness for the ignition I don't care about the fuel pump I'm running inertia switch

• Like 1

Does anyone have a wright up on this conversation everyone says you are the man general disorder posted a bunch of wright ups all I need is a diagram or schematic everywhere online or in the books just gives me gives me a bunch of emitions or Dead threads or dead posts

Edited by pbilt

I looked in one of my old hard drives and found the pictures associated with it but haven't located the actual document as of yet. I'll try again here in a bit. It seems to me that I had it laid out in HTML and later it got made into a PDF by another board member. It's been a long time since I've messed with any of that stuff. Sorry.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the help I appreciate it alot to everyone gd much respect to you thank you I got an email from a few people I think one might be you IV been busy so I haven't had time to read them but as soon as I do I'll post and tell if they work hush77 (I think that's his name) hooked me up with a manual for the swap it's for an ea81 but should be about the same harness wise I think if I butchered my harness I'll be in the market for another one if anyone was one up for sale

Edited by pbilt

• 1 year later...

had me stumped for months if not a year till i was talking to some one and put me on the right track i hope this helps someone cause no one eles has heard of this before everyone just says plugs and wires whitch is the first thing i thought also

Edited by pbilt
  • Like 1