Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback Limited, alarm system

Need help.............Have a 98 Legacy Outback with the anti theft system. The key Fob has been lost to turn on/off the theft system. No big problem until now it needs a new battery. Hooking up a new battery automatically sets off the alarm system. How can I turn off the alarm without the key Fob?? I could not find any advise in the "search" section.

Thanks for advise.............Rooster2

I think if you turn the key from Lock to On three times in quick succession it will start on the fourth try and silence the alarm?

Tried this, but did not work. Went on line, and got advise of turning ignition to "run," then hook up negative battery cable. That worked!

Thanks Mike 104 for your help.

+1

AFIK, the keyless entry and/or alarm system is a DEALER installed option - not 'factory' - For the '96-'99 (?) models. Some installed per instructions;some didn't. 

I've found the button still attached  - taped - to the keyless wiring harness. Find the 'brain/box' for the keyless system and then you'll find the button on one of the wires coming out of it.

• Like 1