Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 ob ej25 headgasket timing belt

I have a 99 outback with an ej25. Im going to do a headgasket and timing belt on this car. Im in California also. And im not "just put a ej22" in it.

So my question is brands and or kit to get to do this. And the while im there stuff i should do that i might not think about.

EJ251 pistons (new or used OEM), NPR rings, piston skirt knurling, and 2006+ STI head gaskets from Subaru.

Aisin water pump.

NTN tensioner assembly

Koyo/NSK idlers

Mitsuboshi Timing belt.

Updated metal separator plate and bolts.

Wrist pin access cover o-ring.

OEM intake, exhaust, valve cover, spark plug tube gaskets.

Etc

GD

I have a 99 2.5 DOCH the PO put over $2600 into the heads and head gaskets.  He ran it about 6000 miles before he got a rod knock.  I have it listed in parts for sale.  

It has a Mitsuboshi Timing belt.  New idlers...

If you want any of the parts let me know.

Larry

I have a 99 2.5 DOCH the PO put over $2600 into the heads and head gaskets.  He ran it about 6000 miles before he got a rod knock.  I have it listed in parts for sale.  

It has a Mitsuboshi Timing belt.  New idlers...

If you want any of the parts let me know.

Larry

Similar story on my son's 03 Forester with an EJ251.  New head gaskets and rod knock a few thousand miles later.

It is wise to cut open the oil filter (with a proper filter cutter as to not introduce false positives) and if possible send off an oil analysis prior to assuming the bottom end is still good. Also all the 2000 to 2004 engine should get upgraded oil pumps as they were mostly equipped with 7mm and 9mm pumps. Fortunately the 25D's all had 10's.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

So im on about close to a $500 budget, ill do all work/labor myself so that's whatever, and ill get any special tools needed for the job. This car im planning on selling as soon as its fix. So i can't really change the pistons to the flat top ones or anything that reasonably dont need to be changed. That's why u was asking for a single kit or 2 kits, timing belt and headgasket. But it seems that the parts wont be in just one kit..

If your going to just sell it after, slap a set of head gaskets in it ( do machine heads for flatness ). Buy those from Subaru. Then buy a Timing belt kit from Mitsoboshi or OEM. If the idlers don't feel good replace them. If the car got oil in the coolant and you have a milkshake in the water pump, replace with AISIN/ OEM. That should be good enough to get it to the next T belt change without further issue.

Well unless you are going to resurface your own heads (can be done - we do), then you will have machine shop costs as well.

Being a 25D you will almost certainly have to change some or all of the exhaust valve shims.

You can thick head gasket it, but that's not the long term solution to the HG issue. 251 pistons and thin head gaskets is the long term solution. Factory pistons would be best but aftermarket with knurling will work also.

It's probably more in the $800 parts and machine work. Hard to say what the costs will be exactly - depends on where you buy the parts and what kind of discounts you get. My costs are wholesale and would be meaningless to the DIY'er.

GD

While doing the head gaskets, recommend replacing the oil seals. I failed to have that done at last T/B change on my 99 OBW. I blew out one of the oil seals recently. Was fortunate enough to see the oil warning light in time....got the car stopped, before damaging the motor with low to no oil.

In general I avoid EJ25Ds without compelling reasons because repeat failures are not worth my time and not rare.

If I find a compelling reason (can verify it wasnt overheated - which is hard by this age, helping a friend in dire need) then I do resurface, OEM headgaskets, Gates timing belt kit, Aisin water pump, reseal oil pump and replace cam seals with OEM seals.

But I haven't done one since Gates kits have started changing the pulley suppliers and people are complaining about them so not sure what I would do now.

If the gaskets are not blown at the moment, I would just throw new gaskets in. Don't worry too much. May blow again but done properly will still last a while.. If your into this trying to make money, I can't imagine making much. Swapping pistons around won't be seen as a selling point and price won't reflect the effort.

If the gaskets are not blown at the moment, I would just throw new gaskets in. Don't worry too much. May blow again but done properly will still last a while.. If your into this trying to make money, I can't imagine making much. Swapping pistons around won't be seen as a selling point and price won't reflect the effort.

• 4 weeks later...

So now the question is where would be a good place to buy my parts from, and what brands? Im going to be using this engine from the 97 Subaru. So if theres a differents that should be noted. Im going to use as much of the 99 stuff as possible. Intake, sensors etc.

Im looking for timing belt and headgasket kit. Dont think this engine needs a head gasket, but im going to replace anyways. Because it looks like the stock garbage ones

Edited by nicksubaru