Ultimate Subaru Message Board

manual transmission compatibility with ej25 auto engine questions

I have a manual 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs with a blown engine. A ordered a new ej25 with egr off of eBay, to put in it. I got caught up in the moment and forgot to ask if the engine is for a manual transmission. So my question is, if the engine happens to be an auto engine, would it still direct bolt up to my manual transmission and be compatible?

A ordered a new ej25

+1 what does that mean?

in general auto to manual doesn't matter, they're interchangeable and always bolt up. but there are a few minor considerations like EGR and trigger marks.

The answers to these two questions vary depending on what engine you bought -

"new" = new subaru short block (which comes bare)

"new" = new from some company (usually come preassembled with timing gear, but no intake manifold - but not always)

"new" = new to me = used - which means it's a complete engine assembly

I'll give your general approach and we can refine as you tell us what you actually bought.

Trigger points:

for your year engine there are two different style trigger marks on the drivers side cam sprocket and crank sprocket. the ECU/vehicle needs whatever it's expecting. to avoid this altogether just install the drivers side cam sprocket and crank sprocket from the original vehicle to the "new" engine.

EGR:

your Manual trans shouldn't have EGR. if the "new" engine has EGR then you have a few options, I'd install the MT intake manifold on the "new" engine and block the EGR port.

if the engine is bare and has nothing on it then you're bolting your own cam/crank sprockets to it anyway and installing your existing intake manifold so EGR is a non-issue - except for the EGR port (or no port) in the head.

Edited by idosubaru