Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to access 12v for full charging for phone

Are they "weak". or do they just not work the way you expect them to?

The last 2 rental cars I have driven worked very strangely.  The power ports would only work if the  phone etc. was plugged into the port AFTER the car was started.  If you plugged it in first, there was no power.  If you start the car with it plugged in, there is no power.  If you start the car, then plug it in, it works. 

The rental cars were a small Hyundai and a Honda CRV, so this seems to be the way cars work now.  Total PITA.

i think it's said they're USB 2.0 which is only 500ma, get a dedicated charger that's rated higher.  

you could try making sure huge drains are off - like don't watch netflix and have your GPS talking at you while driving. 

try the same cable and device in another vehicle just to be sure. 

Isnt there a plug in 12v power port somewhere? Get a good USB charger to go in one of those. I've used Belkin chargers for years and they work great. Make sure to get a charger rated for at least 1.5A.

Edited by Fairtax4me

What Scott wrote. Cigarette lighter sockets have to supply something like 10 amps at 12v to run the lighter. I can't imagine one being limited to less than 5 amps. That would be 60 watts at 12v.

My phone will only fast charge with the cable it came with, and a usb 3 port. Usb 2 limits to 0.5A.