Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1978 brat trany wont stay in 4WD

I just had the shaft seal replaced due to leaking and had bushings replaced on 4wd shifter. Drives and shifts good, but will no stay in 4wd, shifter will pop back up on hard surface, so tried going off road and when on hard dirt the same thing unless I am in soft soil after which when it hits hard ground it pops back up. Any advice? all tires the same size 13".

Jason

910-783-8092

someone else will probably know better, but here's a way to diagnose:

push it into 4WD and disconnect the linkage at the trans.

if it then pops out - that means you have an internal issue.

if it no longer pops out then your linkage is compromised somewhere.

if the linkage is disconnected and 4WD is working properly - then at least with it disconnected you can actually lock and unlock it manually by hand as needed as well. so then you're not left without 4WD in the snow, mud, sand..

Edited by idosubaru

I just had the shaft seal replaced due to leaking and had bushings replaced on 4wd shifter. Drives and shifts good, but will no stay in 4wd, shifter will pop back up on hard surface, so tried going off road and when on hard dirt the same thing unless I am in soft soil after which when it hits hard ground it pops back up. Any advice? all tires the same size 13".

Jason

910-783-8092

Don't use 4wd on pavement.  Only for soft soil.

My guess is the trnas mounts are shot, and the movement of the trans relative to the body is causing the 4wd to disengage.  Problem for EA71 and EA81 4wd cars.  That is why in the EA82 they moved the 4wd shifter to the 5spd stay.  So it is not connected/mounted to teh car body.  So as trans jumps around, the lever moves with it instead of changin the engagement.

• 3 weeks later...