Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spring compressor tips for strut replacement.

I'm going to be purchasing the parts to replace all 4 struts on my 2K obw. Before I get started I wanted to ask if anyone can offer up some tips on swapping the springs over? Such as position and what to expect as I compress the spring and release tension on the other one. I know they have a tendency to twist, slip, bind, all sorts of stuff. I want to avoid a situation where I didn't clamp them properly and end up f'd with no way to safely release them onto the new struts.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, I'll be renting compressors from the auto parts store. Would it be helpful to rent a second set from another store so I can clamp the spring from three sides rather than two?
This part always sketches me out so I want as pain-free as possible.

make note of what part of the top hat faces 'out' towards the fender/knuckle - mark it with something that won't easily rub off in handling if therer isn't a hole or arrow w'ever.

get/borrow (or buy like I did) an impact wrench - possibly a very strong drill with proper adapter to a socket to run the compressor's screws down.

grab as many coils as possible 3 on each one if possible - position them 180* from each other around the spring. I had to flip one too - so the screw heads faced opposite directions - helped with clearance to get the socket on

run them down until you JUST get things loose. don't 'over compress'.

I found it helpful to use vicegrips to hold springs and tophats in position

don't forget to move the bumper and boots over.

I think the images are gone, but there may be some help for you in this thread; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/36263-2003-w-h6-baja-springs-kyb-struts-done.html

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

Edit:
I'm wondering at this point if the springs are even worth reusing. The only source I can find for "complete" strut assemblies is RalliTEK and they're $1500 loaded with springs and the rears being overload springs which might be nice for the amount I haul in this car.
$1500 is a hard number to swallow when I can get everything but the springs at Rockauto for $460.

But man I really don't like swapping springs.  

PS this car is pushing 230k miles.

Edited by 211

some people claim, if struts have been bad for a very long time, the springs are done-in too. Your call. OEM springs are not 'crazy' expensive.

You could find a shop that might do the swap-over for you for $40-$60 or w'ever - just call around. Take your assemblies and new parts to them. I bet they'd love to do that for you on a slow thursday morning....

I recently swapped fronts on my WRX - got struts from amazon for $66 .In the past, I did the wife's 03 OBW. First side with handtools - ugh! Bought an electric impact, not too bad. If you have a friend or relative that has done this, offer them pizza and beers to come over for moral support.

NOTE! - forgot to mention, scribe/scratch a mark from 12 o'clock down onto the camber adjustment bolt - put it back in the same position on the new strut and alignment will be close enough.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Have you thought about finding a local place that does re-setting of springs - they might offer a remove and refit service. I had mine re-sprung (from a 94 Liberty) for $40 but I removed the springs myself so I can't see it being that expensive if they do the R&R.

Like Texan noted in post # 2: make sure you mark the top hat and remember how it sits.

Lubricate compressor's bolt.

Use two sets of spring compressors.

It is hard to tighten bolts on the new struts because they sometimes spin.  Tighten those bolts when you put them back in the car.

Good luck,

Sam

• Like 1

The vice-grips are helpful. You don't want them too tight, but I use them on our wall mounted compressor to keep the spring from spinning out.  Also, for the ones you'll be using, make sure to keep them pretty even.  Don't crank one down too much further than the other side.  Otherwise you can end up jamming the things into the springs.  Also, I wouldn't hunch over them, just in case.

• Like 1

The vice-grips are helpful. You don't want them too tight, but I use them on our wall mounted compressor to keep the spring from spinning out.  Also, for the ones you'll be using, make sure to keep them pretty even.  Don't crank one down too much further than the other side.  Otherwise you can end up jamming the things into the springs.  Also, I wouldn't hunch over them, just in case.

how much would your shop charge someone who brought their old assemblies and new struts to you to swap?

You're getting great advice above but if you have doubts now if you want to get into it on your own, best to either have a shop do it or "spring" for the $ for complete units.  Last time I did front/ rear OB '01 / it was very time-consuming - swore I would not do it again. All of the above suggestions I did  - 3 spring compressors, vice grips, marking positions.   It's just a hard job on your own and the way the springs are wound makes it a challenge.  Your biggest decision point -- what is your time worth?

with springs and the rears being overload springs which might be nice for the amount I haul in this car.

But man I really don't like swapping springs.  

PS this car is pushing 230k miles.

baja turbo springs are said to be stiffer and give more rear support and 1/2" lift to an 00-04 OBW, so that's what I went with in my 02 OBW (same rear spring/strut set up as yours)

i just use the simple bolt type hand held spring compressors - as far as subaru's go they're easy on 00-04 Outbacks.  here's my differentiation:

A.  with air tools they're super easy.  if they're not lined up - zip/realign/zip.  

B.  only under threat of Mordor would I want to use them by hand

• Like 1

using the screw type spring compressors kind of depends on the style of the strut/spring assembly...

they work fine on the taller assemblies (older legacy & foresters) but would not work well on the shorter ones...

with the other half's 06 OBW we ended up taking the assemblies to a local shop to have them do the swap out - we could not get the screw type compressors to work on the short springs this car has.

And fwiw - I purchased stock springs from here: https://www.parksubaruoemparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215943