Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Subaru Impreza EJ25i Buying advice

Hello new geners! My older bro is looking into buying a 2005 Impreza with a EJ25i with 124,000 miles on it.

Timing belt was just done

HGs have not been done.

Regular oil changes at 3k and 4K miles.

Only one small rust spot

He didn't really check for oil leaks but he said the oil was halfway down from the full mark... so maybe the rear bell housing oil seal is crapping out? I'm not really sure what to tell him since I am really only knowledgeable about the outdated EA81. What are some concerns he should have with this engine and car? Were HGs still a huge issue with the 2.5i? The owners are asking $5,000 and he says they are a nice couple that doesn't seem to be trying to screw him over.

Hi,

• All maintenance records? Did the Tbelt include the idlers/pulleys, tensioner, WP/Tstat? Belts infrequently break; idlers and/or WP more frequently 'freeze'. Engine is INTERFERENCE.
  • Autocheck/Carfax? Carfax may show some service history.
  • HG will need done. i'm in the 'HG's are a  maintenance item' camp (like Tbelt, etc.). Every EJ-series engine,  esp. the 2.5, are prone to HG issues.
  • Subarus can burn oil....but depends on How much? 1/2 way down is less than a Qt. (I think), but is more than I'd like to see. When was the last oil change? Maybe 4 months/ 4K miles ago makes sense. Last month/ 1K miles, is 'concerning'. Rear Separator plate can leak; Rear Main less so.
  • ATF serviced or Clutch done? 
  • IMHO, 124K is where $$ things start to need replaced/repaired, so don't buy this if @ the limit of your budget. Ensure your bro has a few K to fix thing$.