Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Source for EA81 axles

A few months ago, I saw a post about a new vendor for axles.  Supposedly, they are heavy duty.  For the life of me, I can not find that post.   Does anyone know of this vendor?    Or, is MWE still rebuilding axles?

Sorry for beating the axle story to death.     Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... maybe I was dreaming. MWE does not sell them anymore. Tried a few local rebuilders, but their phones were disconnected.

It seems the boots are the problem ... splitting and flinging all the grease out.

I had the heavy duty oriell import direct ones which I'm sure are the same thing, the boot lasted about 2 or 3 times as long as the standard ones but it grenades about 2 or 3 times as violent when it ran fry

I think they had some slip joint style axles that were marked as heavy duty.  didnt have lateral movement in the cup, just a slip joint on the shaft.  almost tried them but heard ppl have some mixed reviews.  cant remember the company but I believe you can find them on amazon.  supposedly had issues like normal and also had clearance issues due to the slip collar in the middle.  I think thats what your referring to.

best luck I have had of late is Napa remans.  They are the only ones I buy anymore.  might have just been luck but ive been lucky with them about 3-4 times now.  I get most of my parts and bearings and such from o'rielys but not axles, same junker axles as anyone else.  no idea what the difference is in the napa ones, maybe different reman factory.

napa new has the same issues as the other parts stores, I get the remanufactured ones.

Edited by djellum
  • Like 1

I think they had some slip joint style axles that were marked as heavy duty. didnt have lateral movement in the cup, just a slip joint on the shaft. almost tried them but heard ppl have some mixed reviews. cant remember the company but I believe you can find them on amazon. supposedly had issues like normal and also had clearance issues due to the slip collar in the middle. I think thats what your referring to.

best luck I have had of late is Napa remans. They are the only ones I buy anymore. might have just been luck but ive been lucky with them about 3-4 times now. I get most of my parts and bearings and such from o'rielys but not axles, same junker axles as anyone else. no idea what the difference is in the napa ones, maybe different reman factory.

napa new has the same issues as the other parts stores, I get the remanufactured ones.

Sb9003hd is the part number for the HD I believe, and the Amazon ad says they're 125% new like that's hardcore man. Every axle you put on makes something else new on the car too.

I have some NewInBox outer CVJs that might be correct for your EA81 axles. These are German made Lobro complete with boot kits. 22 spline inner races.

Contact me if interested. Anyone?

Edited by czny

So this Sb9003hd is EA81 compatible? The only difference I can see in the specs is that the inboard joint diameter is 1.5mm smaller than their SB8003. Everything else looks to match up; length, inner and outer spline count, joint diameter.  The last time I replaced half shafts my bigger problem was with boots tearing. I didn't really notice any cv joint or axle issues as much as I did the boots wearing exceedingly quickly. 

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6586008&jsn=3

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3854313&cc=1268568&jsn=404

Edited by ebarb