Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Ej25D to jdi ej20 swap, oil pump, head gaskets?

(Title edit I meant JDM)

OK "we" killed another ej25d, rod bearing, no surprise there. 1999 forester, got new tires, struts, brakes, radiator, blah blah, so I want to put in a cheap JDM ej20 and see what happens.

I am willing to put in a bigger oil pump, which according to GDisorder is the thing to do, but headgaskets?

IDK if the relatively low mileage on these jdm engines as reported from the ebay vendors indicates that is a toss-up. I'm kinda tired of fooling with subaru engines.

I no longer believe in these cars as especially long-lived. I love the way they drive in rain and snow, but I drive very mildly, and am now babying my 2008 and never using it for less than a 5 mile trip. I still expect it to blow up anytime, despite being quiet and smooth with no "piston-slap" aka "rod-bearing knock".  The 1999 was driven like a Chevy iron block and it just ate it's second new engine in 200k. It also had an interim "rebuilt" engine sold by some local jerk that burned oil a quart per tank.

Edited by uniberp

I wouldn't preventatively do headgaskets on nearly any engine, but then again I avoid EJ25D's and EJ25's for the most part for my own vehicles.

99 Forester was Phase II EJ25, 1998 was EJ25D. 

EJ25's are frustrating particularly after this many years/miles.

+1>>>1999 = EJ253 - look @ the 'tag' on the driver's strut tower to confirm.

Personally, I WOULD do the HG's on any used EJxxx engine. It's a 'maintenance' item in my book.

Depending your local options, get the heads milled, too.

It sounds like this may be  your 'DD' so you'd want it as 'tip-top' as possible? If you don't mind the work then put a new Tbelt (pulleys/idlers, tensioner, WP) w/the oil pump (I won't dismiss GD's suggestion) and drive it. May go another 100K.

Your 2008 may have the External leak...but keep an eye on it @ each OCI (oil change interval) and go from there...they're not bulletproof, but also don't need 'kids gloves'. And just to nit-pick, piston-slap isn't the same as rod-bearing knock...from what I've read. One's a little extra room between piston/rings and cylinder walls and the other is a  warning to get out the checkbook. :-(

Td

Oil pump replacement only if it didn't have a 10mm pump already.

Piston slap and rod knock are completely different things. The majority of Subaru turbo engines with forged pistons (including 207's from the factory) have piston slap just due to the skirtless piston design and clearance requirements with forged alloy slugs.

GD