Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got a 99 impreza sport wagon 2.2 5 speed 175k. The previous owner said it had a lack of power. After trailering it home, I drove it around for about 30 minuy es with no problem. I decided to do timing and reseal. Got done drove great for about an hour then started having problems they were talking about.

It definitely has a lack of power at times. If I try, I can find the sweet spot with the gas pedal and it does great. A little to much or not enough and it loses power. If I floor it, it will kick in and run fine. It does this in all gears.

I put a new fuel filter on it, because it was easy, but no change.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Dp

No codes no cel.

I did scan it and check live data and noticed my tps is flat lined at 0 while idling. I loosened it to adjust it and no change at all. Still 0. I am going to put a new one in tomorrow.

I have noticed now that this lack of power only happens after driving for about 45 minutes. For the first 30-45 minutes it runs perfect.

?????

Well, after taking it to a mechanic buddy. I found out the motor has internal problems. When rpms go up there is a faint knocking sound. The knock sensor is picking it up and retarding the timing. I am pulling the motor to replace it. At least I had another motor already sitting in my shop.

I did a new one knock sensor and it still did the same thing. Run fine for a while, then power loss. Swapped motor and all is well now. I used the intake (with knock sensor) from the old motor. Runs great and no power loss.

Today it started doing the same thing again. Apparently I hadn't driven it long enough since the motor swap. Now I'm stumped. New knock sensor, fuel filter and pump, plugs and wires. Not sure what to think now. Maybe ecu?

I'm still suggesting mass air flow sensor. They are known for causing the engine to periodically become gutless and even stall out without throwing a code.

Intermittent fuel pump would be number 2 on my list. I chased one all over the place trying to find why it bogged down on hills until I could actually hear the pump whirring, then I knew for sure. They are cheap and easy to grab from a junkyard. I think $10 put me back on the road that time.

At least you know that first motor is good. Now you've got a spare.

Edited by AdventureSubaru
  • Like 1

Update. Fuel pump flows great, maf swapped, still same problem.

I had a scanner hooked to it today and was watching live data while driving around. I (think) all looked well, but I no tires 1 thing odd. The line labeled fuel sys1 was bouncing back and forth between clsd and open1.

Does anyo me know if that is normal or should it stay one way or the other.

It would change all the time, car was comepletly warm and it would do it while I was giving it gas or not.