Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Worth it?: 82 Brat w/61,000 miles and body rust for $1,300

I saw this listing on CL today for this Brat. Wondering if that price is something I should jump on? I'm going to check it out today.

Alternatively, if someone on here wants it I could pick it up and get it to you; willing to deliver all over the Northwest (WA, OR, UT, northern NV, MT, ID, NorCal) for car cost and price of gas and food if you want it! (I'm a college kid, my time is cheap and I love road trips)

tl;dr: a) is it worth it? B) do you want it?

x85G7oy.jpg

• Like 1

Update: she runs very well. Transmission shifts a little loose but no real drivetrain or engine issues. 4WD works well. New Weber carb that starts and runs very smoothly. Struts are very, very worn, I'm assuming it needs new ball joints and tie rods as well due to loose ride. Body rust is not terrible, though there is quite a bit underneath. Interior is very nice - no smoke smell, no torn seats, aftermarket radio and enclosed 6x9 speakers behind the seats.

And 61,000 on the odometer! I'd call it a great deal. This was the first Brat I've ever driven and it'll was a blast!

Let me know now if you are interested in buying it, and like I said I can deliver it to you on the cheap.

I'm guessing a road trip to Louisiana might be a bit much.....

Sure wish it were closer, I'd take it for sure.

Hey like I said, my time is cheap. It's only a two-day haul to Shreveport, or a bit less to DFW in Dallas, just meet me there so I could catch an easy flight back. 

$100 for sales tax, $35 for insurance, $350 for gas, $75 for food (read: coffee), a $200 flight home to Seattle, and a couple hundred for trip prep (oil change, tranny flush, maybe a timing belt/water pump, plus other work I could do to help the Brat survive the trip - all the parts are pretty cheap though; tranny/clutch are strong and carb is new so no worries there).

So if you want a low-mile Brat, I'd totally do it for $2,250 give or take depending.

Similar for other folks around the country. I like audiobooks and I haven't had a proper road trip yet this summer, so why not?  :)

Brat or bust! Let me know if any of you are interested. 

I CHECKED IT OUT TODAY   something to beat up not to restore  ....does have 3 boxes of extra parts and a pair of t tops in bed   the wheels are stamped Germany the tires are 90 % with spare matching rim    its had a tough 61k miles