Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello...i have a 2005 subaru legacy 2.5i wagon, :) its been my dream car for quite a while and finally got it! but bad news :( now i was driving on the highway and realised my rpms were really high up to about 5000 yet i couldnt feel any power. when i shifted down to 4th realized it was same thing. when i got off the highway in the lower gears it seemed better. upon parking you couls smell something foul coming from underneath. anyone know if it is a trany or clutch? i would hate to take it to a shop to diagnose and have to pay extra money if i should just go straight to the trany shop.

thank you!

Don't go to a tranny shop (ever, with any vehicle) That's just a shop that knows less about Subaru transmissions than a Subaru specialty shop.

You need a clutch.

Give us a call at 503-880-4084 (we open at 9 AM). My shop is on McLoughlin in Milwaukie. We can get you fixed up proper next week. You may be able to drive it with a light foot or I have a tow guy that will deliver it to us for $100 or less.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

GD  knows Subarus.   I took my '96 to him, certain that I'd need a whole new xmission.  He replaced a (ONE!) bearing inside the transmission, and it's now like new! 

The OP likely only needs a new clutch.

Just my 2 bucks