Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 engine not gettinh fuel to the cylinders

Ea82 with 32/36 weber used as an inboard for a mudboat. Changed my exhaust after sitting for a year cleaned the carb and now it wont start.

I have spark

I have fuel in the fuel rail/manifold

Cylinders have compression

Exhaust pushes pressure when turning motor

Sparkplugs are dry after turning over

Will pop if i put fuel directly into the cylinder

Anyone run into something simular?

If the plugs are wet with fuel, you may be fighting a real good flood.

Keep the choke open. It can take a lot of cranking to get enough air through to clear that.

Might be obvious, but since I'm not there, be sure timing belts are intact, etc.

Pretty unlikely it skipped while sitting.

Clearing a flood , you will go through a stretch where it stumbles and kind of half tries to run. Prop the choke open, hold - don't pump- the gas at least half way open.

With the air cleaner off, you should be able to see the choke butterfly valve on the top of the carb.  I don't know webers specifically, but every carb I've seen, this is the case.   Open it with fingers, then use something [preferably not metallic, and long enough to not fall down into the intake] to make it stuck open.  Don't hold it by hand, if it were to backfire, well, flames could get you.

Its sounding like a massive vacume leak but a leak that bignwould.be visable also if the lifters arent pumping up it wont open the valves so it needs alittle oil presure to fire up it might have sat long enuff for the oil to drain out of the lifters and they have colapsed if its easy enuff to pop the valve covers you should be able to see whats up if tbe lifte4s move by hand than more than likly theres no oil presure you would also be able to see a stuck valve you could try spinning the oil pump by hand and see if it helps there arent alot of reasons the cylinder wont pull fuel in to the cylinders a rats nest maybe if puting fuel in the intake dosent pop it off but fuel in the cylinder dose your valves arent opening or the intake is blocked of your getting air from a outside sorce if it.were me i would get a few good batterys and spin the hell out of it while hitting it with starting fluid the lifters should pump up if theres oil in it lol

I'm with ferp420 on this one. If fuel in the spark plug hole fires her off (even at a stumble) but fuel/starting fluid through the carb and manifold does not, sounds like intake valves are stuck shut. Even with a huge vacuum/air leak like loose carb mount you should still get a stumbling rough attempt to start....

Of course following that logic would mean *all* intake valves are stuck, leading back to the oil pressure scenario.

Edited by Tmckinl1

Sorry guys been back at work and havent fooled with it much. I am going to send it to a mechanic local to me that deals with these engines on a regular basis. Hopefully next time i post i will have an answer for all of you and i will be on the water. Thanks fellas