Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC acting up strangely!  When the temperature is approx. 75 to 80 the clutch kicks in and the ac works fine. Checked high and low press. all within specs.  If the temp is above that range the clutch does what the video shows it tries to go but sputters and starts and stops continually.  In the instance where it runs fine that only lasts for a certain amount of time 7 to 15 min before it starts sputtering. which seems to be temperature related the hotter it is the less amount of time in keeps running.  To me it seems that it is a problem with the clutch itself. I would like to be more confident about this before changing it. Any thing else to cause this same issue and any way to check.  Thanks

Link to video

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/haqXv6YSuC

Looks like either the clutch coil is getting weak or there is too much clearance in the clutch. Try pulling out the spacers that sit in down in the splined hub of the pump flywheel.

GD

When I had the front of the clutch off there was one spacer washer in there should I remove it and replace the clutch??

I checked the gap .027 so I removed the spacer and now I have no gap.  Put the ac on and same clutch motion as in the video.  Does that indicate the clutch coil is shot??  Thanks

Looks like either the clutch coil is getting weak or there is too much clearance in the clutch. Try pulling out the spacers that sit in down in the splined hub of the pump flywheel.

GD

I checked the gap .027 so I removed the spacer and now I have no gap.  Put the ac on and same clutch motion as in the video.  Does that indicate the clutch coil is shot??  Thanks