Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 96 Impreza outback that, yesterday morning wouldn't start. The day before it seemed to be taking longer to turn over but was still starting fine. I had the battery recharged at autozone and that took 15min so the battery was good. All the lights come on, everything works, just no cranking whatsoever. The starter was replaced 2 months ago after a no start issue and has been working fine since. I'm hoping it's not the same issue again. Alternator is less than 2 years old so I don't think it's that. Any pointers on where to start looking? I've tried the whole drop to neutral and try to start...didn't work.

Alright guys, so...after having the car not crank or anything I played with a little wire on the starter that clips in to a contact (no idea what this is?) brushed up the contact and plugged the clip back in and the car started right away. I thought id found and fixed the issue...till this morning the car wouldnt start. Had my roommate give me a jump and it started right up. I needed gas so I had to stop and get gas and the car wouldnt start up again. This time someone gave me a jump and it sat on the cables for like 20min trying to start and was cranking but wouldnt start over. Can someone please help me...I have no idea what is going on with this car.

seems like there could be 2 problems here if it was turning over with a jump at the gas station and not starting.

flaky crank position sensor may on that.

cel on? post the codes.

No CEL so no codes to post. It's weird that it started from being jumped right before the gas station but then wouldn't 5 min later. Also, the other night when it wouldnt start it the car was making a weird noise from something on the passenger side of the engine like around the air filter...

My friend took the battery to autozone for me and had therm bring it from 80% charge to full charge and the car started right up. Still at a loss as to why jumping it would work once but not again...then charging the battery worked. The battery is also newly manufactured.