Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2003 Baja came with the premium sound system (sub-woofer, 6 disc CD changer) and was top stuff 15 years ago. It still sounds great but it's functions and capabilities are way outdated. For years I've used one of those VR3 MP3 players that plugs into the cigarette lighter and broadcasts over FM which sounds like garbage since the factory CD player can't read MP3 format.

So I want something that will play MP3s from a USB or SD card and touchscreen GPS. Here is the radio I decided on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253044727237?item=253044727237&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I used to subscribe to Sirius radio until they got so expensive. Plus they played the same songs over and over again.

About 7 years ago I removed the 6 disc CD changer and cubby hole and made this panel for the receiver. Due to filters on my companies internet, they are blocking individual photos so just goto this directory:

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbofiat/library/Subaru?sort=6&page=1

I'm going to be removing this whole panel. Any offers?

My question is, if I go with a 2 DIN radio, do I need a special installation kit? So far it seems I only need a kit if the radio I am installing is a single DIN. In other words, the 2 DIN radio should bolt right up then re-install the cubby hole at the very bottom like it came from the factory?

And I need this wiring adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Wiring-Harness-Adapter-with-Butt-Connectors-for-Subaru-8901-/192235668322?fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3ASubaru&hash=item2cc2238362:g:fAsAAOSw3mpXJsni&vxp=mtr

The last question is does anybody know if the factory sub-woofer that's under the passenger seat will still function with an aftermarket radio? How it's wired up?   

Thanks.

Edited by jseabolt

I've installed double DIN radios in 1998 Legacy's and in a 2005 Impreza and I was able to use the stock brackets, so I did not need an installation kit, just a reverse wiring adapter (like the one you found on Ebay) that can be wired to the new radio and fit into the standard Subaru radio wiring harness.

I was able to wire the stock subwoofer so it would work with the aftermarket radio, but it was pretty much trial and error. You should be able to find a wiring diagram for the Subaru subwoofers online. On my installation, the new radio had a subwoofer output which I utilized.

Stock is double DIN with nearly every model EJ vehicle being plug and play interchangeable from 1995-2004, can google various installs, its all over the Internet, YouTube, been done many tens of thousands of times, etc. given what you've currently done this will be a breeze.

The subwoofer won't be plug and play but it's just a generic component so it can certainly be used if wired properly.

Clearly pointless for this project but for reference there are hard wired FM transmitters which work much better than the wireless ones, the Antenna cable that plugs into the stereo plugs into a box and that box plugs into the radio.