Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dismantle Subaru Brumby Gearbox

Ive taken the Gearbox out of my Subaru Brumby. and have removed all bolts necessary to separate the three sections of the box, however I am unable to actually get it apart. I have a small amount of movement in the back two sections but they will not separate.  I need to overhaul the front diff. Any trick to getting them free . I cant find any info on actually dismantling the box itself on Youtube /or Gregory manual. Just need to get the two rear sections off. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It's not something that can be explained with a post on a forum. You will need to get a manual. Try eBay for old paper manuals.

Best idea would be to throw away the 4 speed and get a 5 speed from a later EA82 car.

GD

Yes thought about that but I understand that the rear Diff ratio's on the L Series are different.

MY were originally 3.7 and went to 3.9 (I don't know when, my 89 is a 3.9)

L are either 3.7 or 3.9, depending on MPFI or carby. You just need to find a suitable combo. It's not hard to switch out the rear diff to suit your box if necessary.