Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Silicon CVJ boots

I heard about silicon boots in another thread.  Here is a link for some I found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Universal-Silicone-Constant-Velocity-CV-Boot-Joint-Kit-Replacement-BLUE-/230910153051

The questions:

Has anyone tried these from this brand / seller?

Any other brands that anyone can recommend / has experience with?

I'm not looking for cheap, I'd prefer long life / high quality.

Those look like the ones i got i dont remeber who the seller was it was a long time ago but i.seem to remeber they were in california there pricy as a pack but per boot its cheap and treated right will outlast the axle the color however will fade and if you get grease on the outside it turns black even when using blue synthetic greese so if you like the color make sure everything stays very clean

Quick vid of a reused silicone boot on a exploded cv joint notice when the boot pops off all the pieces of the cage although this boot is toast look at how strong it is and its just ziptied on the boot was all that held the axle in place alowing me to continue driving on it till i got home

Silicone cv axle boot:

Edited by ferp420

• 10 months later...

so far so good.  The axle I have them on is on the side where the exhaust is.  The boot on the transmission end looks like it is sweating oil or something a little, but the outer one is dry, like I would expect.  I'll have to wipe it off, and see if it comes back...

• Like 2

I’ve got to do the rear axle, so other than boots what else do I need to look into purchasing/replacing? I haven’t found any part numbers for the actual joints, so is this just a hope they’re still in good condition type of situation and if not hope you can find a good set in a junkyard, or is there parts for the front that can be used for the rear? Never done this before.

You will need cvj grease.  NAPA has it.  You need specifically CVJ grease.  A tool to tighten the bands that seal the boot.  

The front and rear are different. 

If they are not making hideous noise or vibration,  they will probably be good after cleaning,  re greasing and new boots.

When you get them apart, it's normal to see very Shiney areas where they run.  You don't want to see rust, oitting, big scratches and stuff like that.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info. There was a roaring in the rear ended, so I’m replacing the wheel bearings too. The boots are dry rotted but not completely broken apart like they are on the front. I bought whole new axle assemblies for the front. I guess we’ll see what I’ve got once I get in there. 

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, DaveT said:

so far so good.  The axle I have them on is on the side where the exhaust is.  The boot on the transmission end looks like it is sweating oil or something a little, but the outer one is dry, like I would expect.  I'll have to wipe it off, and see if it comes back...

Silicone has high permeability, I'm not surprised you're seeing the sweating.