Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'16 Forester Rollover accident -- trying to diagnose problems

Hello all,

I just bought a '16 Forester base model automatic with 10k miles on it from an insurance salvage auction. Vehicle was in a rollover and has light body damage all over. No airbags deployed but I think the front passenger seat belt pretensioner went off.

So, I initially had a code P062F showing, "Internal Control Module Malfunction." I cleared the code and it hasn't returned.

HOWEVER, upon starting, I get the following messages from the handy dashtop screen:

1) ABS malfunction

2) Vehicle Dynamics malfunction

3) Hill Assist Malfunction

4) Airbag malfunction

I think the airbag problem will go away when I replace the seatbelt and have the airbag module reprogrammed.

But what about the other error codes? Any suggestions? OBD2 is no longer showing any codes.

SEPARATELY...the engine is blowing some whitish smoke when I run it in the driveway...it seems to get better as the engine warms up but it will still smoke if I rev the engine in neutral/park at about 2,000-3,000 rpm. Coolant level in the radiator is correct. Some have suggested oil might have gotten into passageways when the car was overturned, and it needs to blow off/burn off over time. Thoughts?

AND FINALLY: the engine won't idle faster than 4,000 rpm in neutral. Is there a rev limiter when the vehicle is in Park that prevents the engine from over-revving? It feels as though the fuel cuts out above 4,000 rpm, but returns when I lay off the accelerator. Or could the idle limit be the sign of another problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I bought the car at the right price even in a worst-case scenario (engine damage), but my plan is to solve all the problems one by one and get it on the road and drive it! Lovely light-green color, and it's a base model, which is what I wanted.

Jeff in Boston

ABS, VDC, and Hill start assist are all linked and controlled by the ABS system.

Possible one of the wheel speed sensors was damaged when the vehicle rolled. Or if the battery has been disconnected for long the sensors for the VDC system may need to be reprogrammed.

• Like 1

You need to get a scanner that can get into the abs and airbag. You're really not going to be able to dish much without it. OBD only gives codes for the engine (typically).

I agree the seat belt pretensioner is like an issue but the abs you have no where to start without the codes.