Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brat Speaker Help

I have a 1985 Subaru Brat that has the 2 dash speakers and speakers in both doors. My problem is that both speakers on the driver side don't work. The passenger side is perfectly fine, and it looks like one of the previous owners was messing with all the wiring. That is why I think that they might not be plugged up right. Do any of you all know where the wires for the driver speakers are? I don't want to take the entire dash and door out if I don't have to. I can post pictures of the wiring to if needed. Any help is appreciated ????

Speaker wires should look different than other electrical wires, theyll be thinnr and should be two wires connected (but seperated through the wire insulation. I would check the back of the speacker and see if its hooked up. If it is, then your other ends back behind the radio, so youll have to pull it out to check

Speaker wires should look different than other electrical wires, theyll be thinnr and should be two wires connected (but seperated through the wire insulation. I would check the back of the speacker and see if its hooked up. If it is, then your other ends back behind the radio, so youll have to pull it out to check

Unless they are aftermarket wires they will not be connected like that.

Anyhow, sounds like your radio has a dead channel or a shorted channel.  Common on Subaru stereo installs.  Here's why.  

The factory wiring uses a common ground wire for both speakers on a side.  So there is no way to properly wire 4 seperate channels like most aftermarkets.   So what I do is use factory wire to one set Fronts or Rear doesn't matter which.  in this case, I'd run the front 2 channels to the connector behind the radio. You will have 2 wires that would be for the positive signal to doors speakers that will be unused.

The door speaker wires go through the rubber boot in the door jamb.  Just under the kick panel trim is a junction were the wires will go through a pink 2 pole connector.  Best bet for installing a new stereo is to run a new set of wires to these 2 pink connectors. Run these back to the stereo to the rear channel output.