Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd generation brat roll bar

I am wanting to know if there was indeed a factory roll bar for 2nd generation brats, and if so, if anyone has some detailed pictures with measurements so that I could get one fabricated.  I am trying to keep with a stock appearance.  Mine does have the jump seats so I think I need the higher version for head clearance.  Any information and/or pictures would be very much appreciated.

There was no 'factory' roll bar, as in they didn't come from the factory with one, at least not that I ever saw on any lots. Brush guards, roll bars and winch bumpers were offered and installed by the dealers or aftermarket shops. I don't remember if the dealer ones were contract builds for Subaru or if they were an aftermarket offering that the dealers picked up, but IIRC, Subaru did not make them. This came from a rep way back when the Gen 2 was released.

Edited by skishop69

Thanks for the reply skishop69...I have seen several images of ones that look right to me, but no way to be able to contact the owners.  Honestly most of them look like gen1 versions that have been modified to fit.  I just thought that if there was a dealer option version that was designed to work with jump seats, seatbelts etc... that it would simplify the fabrication by having some baseline specs. 

I'm hoping this one will allow me to mount the jump seats. It looks like some I've seen in dealer brochures. I've also got a brush bar that looks similar to the dealer brochures, it does not go around the headlights, just the center.

post-65087-0-21943900-1501216311_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bratastick

could you possibly send me a pic if what you have skishop69?  If it is a single tube across the top of the cab, I might be able to take all of your other dimensions but extend the height some to clear the max headrest height.  you could try to post it here, or text it to 541-969-2514.  Thanks!

I think I want to pattern mine after a first gen version.  I looked at a u-tube video from 1984 that showed a new brat with all the dealer options on it, and the high top roll bar just looked out of proportion with the brace pipe going all the way to the top bar.  Made it look too bulky.  Naked Buell, what did you have to modify on the bar that you retrofitted?  

You can't realistically sit in the back seats with a low roll bar for a couple of reasons. You can't raise the head rests to the correct height for taller people. Second, taller people, like 5'4" and up can't sit in the seats without knocking their noggin on the roll bar. The placement and slope of the seats puts the back of your head right on the bar. Personal experience... Add to that legalities of injuries that will occur with a short roll bar in a rollover when the high roll bar was the only Subaru endorsed dealer option available. I agree the high roll bar looks out of place, but I personally wouldn't put in a short with seats and let anyone ride back there. JMTC

• Like 1

We are in agreement. I want a high bar, it was just a comment about style of high bar. To me, the bar looks better when the brace tube that comes off the wheel well intersects at about the roof line like on first gen style instead of angling all the way to the top of the roll bar.