Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear disc questions

Hey guys so my 92 loyale I wanna put rear discs off a turbo awd gl I found in the junkyard. All I need is the hub and calipers right? And back plates? I'm going to buy new rotors and pads. Another question is I'd the rear wheel bearings different than the rears in the stock drum setup? Like is the rear on the discs the same as the front?

You'll need calipers, pads, rotors (with rear hubs), backing plates, and I would grab the rear brake hoses as well. You don't need to touch the bearings.

OK cool, was worried about doing my rear wheel bearings (one hell of a nasty squeek coming from them) and then having to change them anyways when I did the swap thank you

If you can change the rear arms, that would be better as they have extra brackets for holding on the brake lines.

The hard line attached to the arms changes to a flexible line from the arms to the calipers. They stay as hard lines on the drum brakes.

if you change the arms, you can also add a rear anti-roll bar if you wish. Drum brake rear end doesn't have the brackets for those either.

If you can change the rear arms, that would be better as they have extra brackets for holding on the brake lines.

The hard line attached to the arms changes to a flexible line from the arms to the calipers. They stay as hard lines on the drum brakes.

if you change the arms, you can also add a rear anti-roll bar if you wish. Drum brake rear end doesn't have the brackets for those either.

I might do that later but I ended up finishing the swap already, bended my hard lines and everything works great. Took a lot of bleeding but stops much better. Rear driver drum was filled with fluid lol

Tell you what....everyone compares old worn out rear drum set up to old disc performance. I was surprised when fitted new hoses wheel slaves pulled apart cleaned and lubed adjuster mech and new fluid on ea81 ....felt like disc performance for 10,000km at least. Time for adjusting to see if restores performance