Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt pulleys, tensioners, etc.

You checked codes?

Timing that Scott suggested - you can take a look at the distributor body where the two screws attach and see if you can see an old “outline” showing where it used to be so to speak.

Like when you move a piece of furniture and it leaves marks from even just cleanliness where it used to be. If timing got bumped it may show in that way.

Check the throttle cable where it wraps around the throttle body cam thing. If that was off track or compromised in some way maybe that could effect take off and shifting.

Hope you get it figured out, has to be something simple. It’s nearly certainly related to all the engine work.

• Like 1

This looks like a good thread to ask my question.  if it isn't, please feel free to re-direct my inquiry.

I'm considering purchasing a 1983 Subaru GL, 1.8 liter 1800.  To make sure I could find parts for it, I checked all over the web and called several Subaru dealers.  Many parts are available, but when I looked for timing belts I could not find anyone who had them.

Are timing belts available for the 1983 models, and if so where to look? 

Many thanks  ~ Surfer 

Something that old has gears. No timing belt. Mystery solved. 

Oops, mystery is not quite solved.  Seller swears his '83 has timing belts, says the previous owner replaced them several years ago. Its there some place I can confirm the gear vs belt question for the '83 GL 1.8?  Also, if it turns out to have belts, who carries replacements?

Dealer websites seem to start with the 1985 1.8 EA82.  Check to see which 1.8 you have, EA81, EA82...or ? 

I'm no expert, but if the previous owner says it has belts, good chance it does.  Here's an idea... take the front cover off and you'll see for yourself.

Check Ebay, it's the last resort for these relics.  I found the ad attached on my post here.

Best thing to do for a quick answer is to start your own new post with a specific title, like "1983 1.8 timing belts or gears?"

Good luck, look for a free factory service manual download, be patient and have fun!

Set of Rear & Front Engine Crankshaft Seal & Timing Belts fits Subaru Brat DL GL _ eBay.html

an 83 would be an EA81 engine.  no timing belts.

If by chance the year is listed wrong, and it's say a 85+ then it will likely be an EA82 engine.  Timing belts and tensioners for that engine are still readily available.

this thread started about the Xt6, ER27 engine.....timing belts and parts for those are scarce.  But EA82 stuff is still around plenty (minus oil pumps)

Maybe the EA81 was swapped out for an EA82, for increased power and reliability of course!  :lol:  Surfer should peak under the front covers to verify belts or gears. 

An E82 would be easier to get parts for.

I found everything Subaru OEM, NOS for my 2.7 reseal, except for water pump, head gaskets and the no longer available idler pulleys.

Has anyone ever tried to use a 2.7 oil pump on a 1.8?  If they have the same hardware attachments, the only difference is more volume, different hoses and the curious extra seal on the 1.8 version, not a bad thing.

I have my XT6 back at the mechanic.  The mechanic drove me back to my place and floored it... like a slug taking forever to shift, he thinks the timing needs to be reset.  When first setting it, he followed the service manual, but thinks he should advance it a bit to compensate for new belts, tensioners etc. I like timing advanced just a tick, using 93 octane on a motor that needs the boosted fuel anyway. Since the ECU probably put timing back to base, we will turn it up a bit.  He will check other things also, throttle cable/linkage, vacuum...

start another thread. Before you start that new thread, pop the hood and look, it’ll either have huge black plastic timing covers over the entire front of the engine (EA82, or you’ll see the belts) or it won’t (EA81).

If you don’t know how to do that google pictures of the two engines and compare.

This all takes about 30 seconds for someone that knows a little bit. And 1 minute and 30 seconds with internet if not.

Almost done...

There was a vacuum leak, not sure where, but that, one bad hose and one loose clamp are taken care of. 

The throttle cables have been adjusted, one of them seemed loose.  Both now have proper tension on them.  For anyone interested, one is for the actual linkage to the gas pedal, the other is operated with the cruise control circuit. 

Timing was advanced a bit, probably to where it should be above baseline, plus a tweak up.  I'm allowing the mechanic to test drive it for as long as it takes to get perfect, and I think timing is good now.  Slater now scorches the front tires off the line  :brow: !!!  Yeah, FWD does this with the 2.7 Subiebeast.  Good torque to hp ratio is key.

As far as the AC, they recharged the system and did the blue ink test stuff.  The AC cooling fan still works only with the main cooling fan.  I pointed out the relays on the passenger firewall, specifically the AC fan relay that I recently replaced.  How are these fans working only as one right now?  It's not a big deal but they worked perfectly before.  The Main fan worked with the coolant temperature sensor and the AC fan would go on only when the AC was on.  Any ideas?

I'll give the mechanic one more week to sort everything out, then I take Slater home for good.  There should still be 2 months of driving fun to have, before the salt trucks ruin the roads.

Edited by 89XT6

:headbang:  :banana:  :clap:  :bouncy:

Good to go!

The reseal of my 1989 XT6 2.7L H6 is complete and Slater is running strong, with zero leaks.  like a scorched cat off the line the tires chirp and spin. The auto tranny hits second gear hard, I might be able to get second gear to chirp if I hit it right. the throttle linkage is sorted out to where it should be.  Timing is advanced just a bit above baseline, it idles around 800 rpm.  Sunoco 93 is the best fuel for this engine.

The ac system is good now.  After changing out the o rings and recharging, it turns on and the ac cooling fan turns on with it.  It was defaulted by the ecu to turn on with the main cooling fan when the ac compressor wasn't working.

Thanks again for all the help.  I have a couple of months before salted roads force Slater into the garage.  With temperatures in the mid seventies today, who knows when hibernation time arrives!