Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale door lock switch fix hack.

92 Loyale wagon with power door locks. Doors suddenly failed to lock or unlock. Fuse was fine. What failed was the switch. It can be repaired. It is located in the driver's door and is operated by a rod that comes down from the locking mechanism. See the picture. It is a sliding switch mechanism and over time, the spring tension gets weak and the sliding contacts fail to engage the contacts. Take it apart, bend the contacts slightly, scrape any crudd off of the contacts and put back together. Total time to open up the door, pull out switch and fix it, plus reinstall is under a half hour. See the pictures.  Hope I can save someone's day when the door locks just fail on them.post-24986-0-68972800-1501881742_thumb.jpgpost-24986-0-36060200-1501881754_thumb.jpg

cnc

I forgot to mention that to get it apart, you take out 4 little screws to open it up, then carefully bend the white plastic arm up to get it off of the slider. Remove slider and clean and rebend the contacts. Good as new. New switch costs over $100, and nobody has them anywhere near me or for 500 miles.

Edited by cnc
  • Like 4

You're welcome. Yes, I've fixed the driver's door multi-switch a couple of times. The only trick is to do it carefully, over a large pan to catch all the contacts that fall out. Looks scary, but it only goes back together one way, so just keep messing with it until it fits back together.

cnc