Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Verify please: EJ18 to EJ22 engine swap :-)

Hi everybody, I'm new here :-)

We're purchasing a 1995 Impreza HX-S (WRX replica) 1.8A(Japanese Domestic Market). I read in the archives, and I'd like it verified, that we can swap the EJ18 lump for an EJ22 lump and use all the electronics/sensors/ECU from the EJ18 (change just the mechanical parts)? Is that correct? Should I change the injectors too? Will all be well? :confused:

I'll change it to a 5 spd later :-) We get a lot of JDM wrecks here from japan, so parts are plentiful!

Thanks for your help guys!

Allan from New Zealand :-)

Well, I guess that would be possible, don't think you would get the same performance though. With all those JDM parts around, why not go for the EJ20G that came in the 95 WRX, then you wouldn't have a replica any more.

Well, I guess that would be possible, don't think you would get the same performance though. With all those JDM parts around, why not go for the EJ20G that came in the 95 WRX, then you wouldn't have a replica any more.

Thanks, but I don't want a turbo one. It's cheaper to just buy the real WRX (If I wanted one) they start at about US$3500 for the whole car, running and legal! I want a N/A impreza with a bit more tourque for towing etc.

Allan :-)

Yea, I forgot how lucky you guys were down there. I had to build my 96 WRX, I'm now waiting for a vehicle inspection before I can put it on the road. I didn't hink that the EJ22 was available down there, or was that why you were asking here on a board with mostly USA members?

josh (1abaja) is gonna do the same thing, put an ej22 in his 93 1.8 impreza.

he called ccrinc and they said the physical structure of the motor is the same, only the bore is different, and all the ecu and wiring connectors work the same

i dont think he would have dropped over 200 bucks on gaskets and seals and another 250 for the motor if it wouldnt work.

go for it. i will be the one putting josh's togehter myself, so we're in the same boat

• 1 year later...
josh (1abaja) is gonna do the same thing, put an ej22 in his 93 1.8 impreza.

he called ccrinc and they said the physical structure of the motor is the same, only the bore is different, and all the ecu and wiring connectors work the same

i dont think he would have dropped over 200 bucks on gaskets and seals and another 250 for the motor if it wouldnt work.

go for it. i will be the one putting josh's togehter myself, so we're in the same boat

Great idea-- you answered my question number 1