Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I replace JUST the timing belt

I have a 96 Subaru Impreza outback sport with the 2.2L engine. I've been told this engine is interference. My timing belt is pretty cracked and needs replaced. The quote I got from a shop to replace everything is $400. I'm wondering if it is okay to replace just the timing belt and not the water pump and crankshaft seals? I know you should replace them all together but can I get away with not doing that. I ask because money is a concern so if I don't absolutely have to pay more I don't want to. Also, can you all tell me how hard of a job replacing just the timing belt is? I'm considering doing it myself

Edited by cascadeclimbn

1996 2.2 engines are not interference.  

But - 1996 2.5 engines and 1997+ EJ22 are interference so it would be easy to get confused since there is "one" 1996 engine that's inteference and 2.2 liter engines are interference starting the next year.

Here's the order of parts you should replace based on which ones actually fail the most often on that engine:

1.  Timing belt and timing pulleys - the pulleys loose grease and seize and then break the belt.  These can leave you stranded.  Most mechanics are okay with you bringing in a part like this - they'd rather do it right and you do the leg work on older parts than you just replacing the belt only on the cheap.

$120 for a kit on amazon:  https://smile.amazon.com/Gates-TCK254-Timing-Belt-Component/dp/B000C2ULA0/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1502469326&sr=8-17&keywords=subaru+gates+timing+belt+kit

Reuse the original bolts on the car, don't use the bolt that comes in that kit. 

Alternate option instead of replacing the pulleys: If you have a generic grease gun (or buy one, they're $10 or so) you can be ultra thrify and just get a $2 needle fitting and inject grease into the pulleys yourself and not replace them.  I do this on subaru's older than yours where timing pulleys are not available anywhere.  then you only have to buy a cheap timing belt. A shop won't do this, you're on your own for that service (though it's easy). 

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/47067-repacking-timing-and-other-pulley-bearings-a-solution-for-our-old-pulleys/

2. Reseal the oil pump (crank seal, oil pump oring, sealant), replace cam seals, replace cam cap orings. 

You can investigate a little now- is the timing cover wet underneath? If it's bone dry then none of these are leaking and you could skip this step.  

These generally speaking just start leaking and get worse over time, so you won't get stranded, but you'll be repeating the timing belt job if it happens - because it needs removed for all of these parts. So many of us wouldn't even think about it -we'd just replace them all.  I prefer Subaru OEM parts for these.

3.  Water pump is dead last.  If you're not doing the other stuff I wouldn't put money in only the water pump, it is the least likely part to give you issues.  If it does it'll just leak and you can plan a course of action.  Again - you'll be paying (or doing) hundreds of dollars a labor all over again to remove the timing belt and replace it. 

If you do replace it - get a Subaru or Aisin water pump and only a Subaru OEM gasket, the aftermarkets are thin cheap cardboard.  You could just hand a gasket to your mechanic if he's doing it.  They're readily available at Subaru.

So if you're not currently leaking you can basically skip steps 2 and 3 without much concern.  Personally I'd do it - but it's easy for me and doesn't cost me a dime, so I get that other situations differ.

Do it yourself - I can do yours in about 45 minutes easy, you could in 2-3 hours no problem with a little preparation.

Subaru timing belts are easy (particularly yours) and Subaru owners are one of the most helpful communities I've ever encountered.  It's one reason I love driving them, I never knew or was around anyone that did cars - i learned everything from places like this and some members here I met 20+ years ago when I first started buying tools.

Here's miles (a member here) doing the timing belt on your engine: 

Subaru Factory Service Manuals are free and easily obtainable as well as End Wrench articles and other write ups and online discussions. 

The EJ22 is a great first engine to do a timing belt on, it's very simple. 

No special tools needed (even if you see mention of one, they aren't needed). 

i've seen *one* report of a 1996 interference engine.  After 15-20 years, it was just a few years ago, I would question the accuracy of 1 anecdotal report even though he was emphatic it was a 1996.  With only one report it's more statistically likely the engine was previously swapped or it was wrecked and a door had an incorrect VIN/manufacturer date, something like that (considering I've probably personally swapped 5 or more Subaru doors myself and i've never worked for a shop or anything, it's quite common).  

• Like 3

96 was a crossover year.  Some 2.2 were interference and some were not. water pump  can be skipped (not recommended) seals if they are not leaking they can be skipped as well.  Timing Belt  and all rollers (Japanese made recommended) should be changed     Yes, many people routinely replace timing belts themselves . 

96 was a crossover year.  Some 2.2 were interference and some were not. water pump  can be skipped (not recommended) seals if they are not leaking they can be skipped as well.  Timing Belt  and all rollers (Japanese made recommended) should be changed     Yes, many people routinely replace timing belts themselves . 

nope

split was in late 96 for the 97 model year. 

If it's a 96 with it's original engine it will be non-interference.

You could carry the belt and a pre-compressed tensioner and fix it if it breaks and be back on the road.

Minimum I would suggest is to change belt and the cogged idler roller.  everything else is optional.

• Like 1

sounds like a plan.  doing it yourself or let the shop do it?

Gloyale says those gates kits suck, chinese garbage i think he calls them, but OEM are pricey so take your pick.

another option is once you see how easy it is - just plan on checking the pulleys once a year or something, but most people would probably just leave well enough alone and forget about it 

consenus is the 96 2.2 outback sport is non-interference 

it's more of a fact than a consensus, you just need to find someone that definitely knows older Subarus and doesn't just think they know or think they know how to look it up.

Since the last GATES kit I used to use came back with a FAILED cheap cogged pulley, I stopped using them a year or 2 ago. ( My own 2 cents and experiences )

I have been using Mitsuboshi only belts on any of the vehicles I service. The kits I now order are from Ebay and have GMB pulleys with them and Asian water pumps.

The kits I saw for your 96 are:

w/o water pump:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-90-97-Subaru-Legacy-Impreza-1-8-2-2L-SOHC-Mitsuboshi-Timing-Belt-EJ18E-EJ22E-/281128491393?fits=Year%3A1996%7CModel%3AImpreza&hash=item4174905981:g:YIYAAOxyfS1RzihH&vxp=mtr

with water pump:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-90-97-Subaru-Legacy-Impreza-1-8-2-2L-Mitsuboshi-Timing-Belt-AISIN-Water-Pump-/281155773452?fits=Year%3A1996%7CModel%3AImpreza&hash=item417630a40c:g:wzcAAMXQHeBSF5Qo&vxp=mtr

Edited by ferret

My experiences, I have not seen a GMB pulley fail. I have REPLACED them again at the next timing belt interval.

I don't remember the brand on that cogged pulley that failed, but I DO remember the Gates kit changed from when I first started using them, and I charged them only for parts and head repair. I felt partially responsible for that one since I highly recommended the Gates kit at that time,

That was a 2004 Forester XS. 6 bent valves..... I really felt bad for them. I am a backyard mechanic who helps people keep their cars going, when they can't afford a dealer or garage prices anymore.

But my personal cars have been Subaru's since 1978, 10 to date including the 2001 Outback our daughter has in Pittsburgh.

Edited by ferret

Gates - junk. GMB - worse junk. 

$400 is cheap - they are using crap parts. We charge $800 and that's including crank/cam seals, cam support o-rings, and Japanese parts. 

If you do everything it's a 5 hour job. And then coolant, thermostat, and Japanese parts. 

You can pay for quality work and parts, and KNOW you will be good for 105k. Or you can gamble. Your choice. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and it costs money. Budget for proper repairs or walk.

I see what the "$400 timing belt sale!" guys do to Subaru's. Every day. They strip idler threads out of the block, install the tensioner roller sleeve backwards, fail to pre-tension the piston style tensioner before tightening the hold down bolts, and all manner or other mistakes that are simply a result of inexperience. The DIY guys are just as bad. If you don't have some experience behind tools you have no business doing a timing belt. It's not a difficult job, but there are important rules to follow. 

And yes the 96 is non-interference. Period. There is no "year split", etc. That's horse$hit.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

^ agreed 100%

My shop usually charges around 1k for the t belt service (I'm in CT :| )

And that's with an Asian kit. Oem seals etc. We do the job right.

We can't even buy the Asian kit from out distributor for less then 300$... think about that.

If they want 400$ total. Yeah. You can do it. I wouldn't

I had to do a T belt on an 11 outback and my service writer got a conti kit. It had the gmb idlers, some no name water pump that didn't even look like the poem.

I told them to get a different kit, preferably Asian, or I'm not doing the job

Edited by golucky66

Both previous posts are correct, but I would not knock the DIY job on a 96. Miles Fox has a good youtube video for EJ SOHC timing belt job.

I have done dozens as a DIYer without fail. Being a non interference motor there's not a terrible worst case scenario. I've just kept the used belt and idlers in the spare tire well (just in case) and I err on the side of caution and replace at 80,000 miles.

As GD said, lots of mistakes can be made. But if you follow instructions, there's not much to go wrong on a simple timing job to keep a 21 year old car running reliably.

It just depends on which standard you want to hold your car to.

i routinely do my own timing jobs, but then again, I don't trust the shops in my area to do it right. I learned how to do it right, thanks to this board, and prefer to do my own work whenever possible. (on my 4th Suby, and the other half is on his 3rd - so, yeah, have done a few)

the shop i do go to when I don't have the time, or the proper tools to do a specific job (like a tranny swap), actually calls me now for details on certain things... (like oil leaks at the rear of the engine - this actually happened just a couple of weeks ago, lol). They don't work on enough Subarus to really know - this is an independent, general repair shop.

• Like 1