Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hesitaion when flooring the pedal. No uphill for me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gravitate

gravitate

New User

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Sedona AZ

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

I have a 96 Legacy Outback Wagon 5spd 2.2 with recently rebuilt motor (25k ago). I have had problems since day one with it when it comes to acceleration. If I floor the pedal it takes maybe a 1 second to really respond. When I try going off roading up a hill I can't get it to go because of this. I have had 5 subarus and they never had this problem. My 91 legacy climbed way better than this.  I've also been getting 20 to 22 MPG which I usually get more with these cars. No check engine light. I have a donor car so I've been swapping parts. So far I have swapped Front O2 sensor, all 4 injectors, MAF sensor, New PCV valve, New Spark Plugs, pretty sure I did a fuel filter 25k ago, New wires and I've done a fuel system cleaner. What else should I do? Thanks

#2 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,181 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Try disconnecting the cat (it will be real loud) but then see if acceleration uphill is improved.

If so, the cat may be clogged and the pieces block the flow and even more so on an incline.

Edited by brus brother, 12 August 2017 - 07:37 PM.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,581 posts
  • Texas

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

bad knock sensor could be pulling ignition advance ?

#4 gravitate

gravitate

New User

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Sedona AZ

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

I disconnected the cat, replaced TPS and Knock Sensor. Nothing helped.

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus. '03H6OBW,'06WRX

• Members
  • 7,581 posts
  • Texas

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

pull the covers and check cam timing.

#6 monkeyposeur

monkeyposeur

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

Did you replace the MAF with a used one or new MAF? Used MAFs suck in my experience. Did you try cleaning yours? Try a new one.

Next up would be a fuel pump. A walbro 255 lph would be a nice cheap upgrade.

#7 mikec03

mikec03

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • greenfield, wi

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

I've had 4 90's subarus.  I must admit that I haven't had this exact problem.  I have had problems with the MAF and the knock sensor. So the question is:  did you use OEM with the MAF and the KS replacement?  It's probably something else, but tit still needs to be settled.

By the way, I have had no problems with used MAF or KS.  They don't fail that often so that one taken from a wreck would be likely to be defective..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users