Hi to all USMB members... Just joined USMB after hunting for Brumby mod tips and seeing what people have done, so I thought I'd share the story of Ruby so far.
1992 Subaru Brumby
4 speed dual range transmission
2" exhaust straight through with a single muffler box on the rear
Other than that, bog stock.
(Once I've worked out how to, I will post up some pics.)
I bought Ruby almost 12 months ago for $400 in Brisbane, she was sitting on the side of the road with no carby and half of the interior missing or not put back together. The poor old girl was looking pretty sad and sorry for itself but for all that was wrong with her, she had a good body on her with minimal rust. And for $400 I was willing to spend what was neccassary to bring her back to life. After all, Ruby is nothing more than a glorified dog box and kayak rack, all I needed was something I could cart the dog around in and something I could get my kayak down to the river or beach in. Pretty simple requirements.
In the quest to get Ruby up and running again I have stripped out;
* "L" series wagon for the 5 speed dual range and a couple of other trinkets I will mod, $250.
* 83 Leone sedan for almost new 14" speedy rims, 6 gauge instrument cluster and a few trinkets and spare parts, $200.
* 83 Subaru Brumby for alloy ladder bars and a few spare parts, $50.
* 83 Touring wagon for the power steering, electric windows and a unmolested center console, trinkets and spare parts, $200.
Well the old girl is back on the road and registered, so far the list of work has been just getting the basic mechanical's back up to being reliable. I've replaced;
* Front and rear wheel bearings
* Front and rear brakes totally rebuilt, shoes, pads, new rear wheel cylinders, reconditioned front calipers, machined front rotors and rear drums.
* 2.5" extended braided brake lines ready for the lift kit.
* Changed all the oils and filters, replaced the entire ignition system with new plugs, leads, coil and a what ever else I may have missed.
* New 32/36 weber with solenoid kit for the air conditioning, can't recommend this enough, the improvements in fuel economy and power has been totally worth the expense.
* Reassembled the interior, installed the 6 gauge instrument cluster. Totally stripped the interior while I was doing this and resealed the heater box/air conditioning unit, this has been a big improvement in air flow through the vents.
* Re-upholstered the roof lining with modern cloth trim.
* Replaced the under-felt under the vinyl floor, I also lined the rear wall with this as well before re-installing the plastic trim.
* Doors, roof and floor has all been lined with Dynamat for sound deadening. What a difference this has made to driving it, has made the interior quieter and cooler.
* Mounted 3 Hella Rallye 4000 Spotlights I had laying around from a previous build (2 spots on the outside with a center spread beam) on a roof rack that came off of the L series, mounted them on a roof rack for easy removal without having to adjust the lights everytime.
I think that's about it at the moment but I'm sure more will come to mind after I finish this post. There has been a lot of other smaller jobs done but nothing of any real importance.
Still to do;
* Fit the 5 speed dual range gearbox.
* 3" lift kit.
* 27/8.5X14 Kuhmo MT KL71's.
* Fit the power steering.
* All new bushes through the suspension.
* Mount the Recaro seats I have in the shed.
* Coat the underside with body deadener and rust proofing.
* Cut out the little bit of rust she has before it gets to out of control.
That's pretty much well the basics. Its a long term project that I'll keep until her or I die permanently and oneday I may even decide to paint her (I'd like to paint her the new Mazda metallic red) but at the same time I kind of like her the way she is, if she gets a little knocked around and a few bumps and scraps here and there, its not going to bother me as much as it would after having her freshly painted. A couple of other mods down the track include welding the rear storage box out of a "L" series wagon into the front of the tray, I'll modify this to take the second battery and to store a few bits. Mounting a 12 volt air compressor with a small tank where the spare wheel use to go, make it more convenient for airing up and down when going off road and to also run the air horns. I have a fresh EA81 with EA71 pistons that I will drop in at some stage, may even do that when I swap out the steering. I was thinking about doing the whole EJ conversion but for all I need, the EA81 with a few little mods will be ample. And eventually I would like to look at putting 4.11:1 or 4.44:1 final drive in to the "L" series 5 speed but a little more research to do before I undertake that task and at the same time, look at installing a LSD of some kind in the rear diff.
In the short time I've had the old girl on the road, I haven't really had the opportunity to go to far or do to much with her but we have managed a few little outings and has handled everything I've thrown at her with ease and I can't see me doing anything worse than what I have already done, with the lift kit and tyre's on her, she should be a real little weapon.
Most importantly though, the dog loves being able to go on road trips again :-)
Edited by Al Zhiemer, 12 August 2017 - 10:34 PM.