Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I found a '90 Justy for sale cheap. Looks like it's been sitting for 12-13 years. Tires are shot and the owner says it has bad gas (probably 12-13 years old...), but isn't aware of any other issues. Engine is cleaner than I expected (dusty/cobwebs, but no leaks or major grime). Body is generally rust free (has patina). Interior is filthy, but in amazingly good shape (no tears/cracks and the headliner is even still in place)

This is going to be a project for the Texas Gambler 500 (cheap car rally-style race). I realize it's going to need some work, which is fine, but I'm trying to keep the necessities under $1k (car, title, insurance, basic maintenance/repairs). 

So... 

- What would y'all look for maintenance wise? (Expecting to do a full tune-up and fluid swap) Any known engine/transmission issues?

- What kind of maintenance should I expect from the bad fuel? Fuel pump? Injectors? 

- What is a reasonable price? (assuming it's as described)

Thanks!

Back in the day, the Justy made a fine little econobox. Rally car... not so much. Although if it is the 4wd model, with the right setup it might do ok, IF you are trying to stay in a small CC category. If that is not the case, there are much better rally cars for sure! Parts availability will probably be an issue. The fuel system, depending on how much and what kind of fuel, plus how much condensation took place, could be a nightmare. You may very well need tank, lines, fuel pump, injectors...  or it may start right up and just smell nasty till it gets fresh gas, no way of knowing. Is it a manual trans or ECVT? The ECVTs were great to drive, but I'm not sure how much punishment they could take, and you can pretty much forget about repairing or rebuilding one if you had a problem. 

The Justy pretty much, was a stretched and widened KEI car.. It was based off the Subaru REX. They added 2 cylinders to the 550cc EK23 engine basically and it became the 1.0L Justy engine

Really the car sucked so bad that they made them 10 years, then cancelled the USA market after only a few years ( 1987-1994 ) and then from 1995- on, had other vehicles re badged

It's a 5spd with 4wd. Seller is asking $600. Going to be using it for a Gambler rally. Vehicle purchase limit is $500 and this caught my eye as kinda cool. Didn't realize it was only a 3 cylinder engine until I looked today. I still like the quirky aspect of it.

Seller wasn't there when I went and checked it out today, so I could open her up, but not turn her on.

Here's what I found mechanically:

- Oil was low and black
- No coolant was visible at the top of the radiator and I didn't check for a reservoir.
- Washer fluid reservoir was broken
- Hoses, wires and distributor cap were all in very good condition (looked kinda like they'd been put on new and let sit for a number of years)
- Didn't check the plugs themselves
- Didn't check the fuel filter (seller said he had bad fuel issues)
- Belt was okay. No cracks.
- Radiator was hard to see, but the fins looked good.
- Clutch felt about right for a car of that year
- Windshield seal is dry rotted and broken
- I didn't check the transmission fluid

And maybe I should rephrase a little. What parts are impossible to find that I should inspect for? 

A few pictures I took today.

20170813_162257.jpg

20170813_162247.jpg

20170813_162223.jpg

20170813_161709.jpg

20170813_161618.jpg

Yeah.

I walk when I see black oil. Unless I'm buying purely for non-engine parts. Most Subarus don't need much maintenance, but at the very minimum they need oil changes. If they weren't willing to do that, they damn sure did nothing else. That's a 200 dollar car, bub. Cause that's about what you could get for scrap. I know it's quirky n all, but the engine is probably toast, and even if not, it may run you 1000 dollars just to get it running if the tank and pump are rotten. If you look hard enough, you could find a pre-97 2.2 Legacy/Outback for 500 bucks that would legitimately kick rally a$$. Don't waste your time.

You can get engine parts from Subaru but that is the ONLY source and they are extremely expensive.

Sitting for that long is going to mean opening it up for water pump mechanical seal (water pump is driven by camshaft from inside the engine) And that is a seriousoy slippery slope. It usually means timing belt, timing chain (yep they have both), oil pump, and oil/water pump housing (they crack). Just parts alone will be over $1k.

You have to drop the crank partially out of the engine to do the timing chain.... it's a horrific process to do one of these up right. Last on I did cost the customer $3500 or so in parts and labor. It's a serious pain in the neck to work on.

As said the fuel system is SHOT after that long. So figure on dropping the tank and having it rubber coated inside if it's not swiss cheese. Fuel pump of course. Possibly all the injectors...

It will cost a FORTUNE to get that rolling and you will have a 65 HP econo box..... get a legacy.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Agree with everything GD said.  Frankly, the Justy was a POS.  They were fun and economical while they lasted, but they didn't last very long.  They had an annoying habit of throwing the #3 rod due to people treating them like the cheapo car they were and not changing oil as they should have, or letting it get low.

The last time we did a Justy engine (for someone who was a friend and colleague), we found the parts to be expensive and dealer-only availability IF they could even get them.  Nothing on this car changes over from any other model Subaru.

Seriously, just walk away.  That $5-600 is going to become a few thousand real quick.

Emily

It looks pretty good... Looks that is. Something has kept it from being driven or sold for a long time and that usually means mechanical faliure. Black oil and low coolant nails it. On a car which has not been made for over 25 years, that means the only economical way to get one going is using a running parts car... It was built off the Japanese Kei car platform so it's not related to any other USDM Subaru.

Fun cars, but that's looking like a bigger gamble. best suited as a parts car to keep others on the road.

A cheap 90s legacy or impreza would probably fit the bill better. Or even an EA series car since you're not in rust country. Keeping tabs on craigslist and being willing to take a drive when a deal pops up gives you good odds for finding a good one. I bought my 98 daily driver for $200 with jumped timing and creaking rear suspension. Took a about $300 in junkyard parts and it's been very useful since.