Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 SPD MT Interchangeability '03 to '05 Forester

The opposed forces site lists a TY755VC5AA for '03 Dec to '05 Mar for effectivity.

My '03 MY has a TY755VC3AA transmission installed and opposed forces has no listing for that transmission number.  My car was manufactured 10/2002.

I checked www.car-part.com and it lists only MY '03 for my transmission.

Does anyone have any experience in putting in a 5AA to replace a 3AA MT or know what the differences are between these?

Thanks

Looking @ the OF site, I found your *-3AA under the other engine listed for the Forester (there are 2 NA 2.5's and the turbo 2.5), which shows an earlier mfg. date. As yours is an early-ish '03 (build date in 10/02) there may have been a change mid-year.

To answer your question, I can't - directly. But if they both use the same speedo sensor, it 'should' be OK....somewhere in there Subaru changed to a wheel-sensor/ABS (?) based speedo vs. the one in the trans by the dipstick on the pass. side.

Per OF, the FD ratio of both is 4.11.

• Like 1

So others feel the issue is likely the Viscous Coupling (AKA Center Differential) in the Tail Extension (PN 38913AA102)

Main issue is the front wheels 'Hop' when making right turns at slow speed after driving at highway speeds, similar to torque bind on Auto Transmission.

Used 5MT are between $500 + shipping and $1,000.  A new VC is around $500.

I think best to spend a few $$ to get it diagnosed correctly at my local Subaru dealer or independant shop (he works at same Subaru dealer) to decide whether to replace MT or VC

I would love to have my resident Subaru mechanic (youngest child) do the job but he is too busy with GF, new dog, friends, etc. to work on my car  :(

I may just take it in to the dealer and get the family discount to get it done.  A much easier job on a lift instead of on the garage floor (with my 60+ year body)!