Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'17 Outback windshield stress crack?

FNG guy here with a question.  I've searched the archives and could only find one previous topic on a possible front windshield stress fracture/crack.  The crack began on my wife's 2017 Outback 3.6 (< 10K miles) and it started in the extreme lower left corner of the driver's windshield, essentially right in front of the driver in the lower left corner.  What's interesting about the crack are a number of things:  my wife was on a mission trip out of the country for 7 days so the crack started after she returned home -- I never drove it while she was gone but the car did sit for about 8 days.  She swears she never saw nor heard a rock hit the windshield.... she cringes when a big bug hits the window, a rock on that car would send her into low earth orbit.  On the phone, the soon dealer wants to do a $900 install and says they need to do it to align Isight, etc.... which I get.  I'm just not sure my insurance company will agree.  Based on the crack and no other signs of a rock, I'm going to take the car to the dealer tomorrow and see if they'll consider a good-faith repair of the windshield.  I really think it's a stress crack and not a rock.  

Anyone with a similar experience that they would like to share.

Thanks!