Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clicking noise 87 brat

So I got a weird clicking noise, sounds like a bad axle up front. But it isn't a bad axle, both replace with brand new. Verified perfect condition axles. Doesn't matter if in gear or turning or going straight and only clicks until about 15mph, anything higher the sound is gone. The sound isn't around if I put in 4wd hi or low. Could it be diff up from going bad? A bearing somewhere up front. It's annoying the hell out of me and I can't pinpoint where it is exactly coming from

Thanks

No heat shield and no cat on the car. Noise only in fwd mode, only up to 15mph. noise increases with speed and decreases when coming to a stop. Is there anything in the transmission that could cause this while.only in fwd mode and not in 4wd.

So had someone ride with me today. In the driver's seat it sound like it's coming from passenger side of car, passenger told me it sound like it's coming from driver's side.

Past experience with bad axles, as long as it isn't dry of grease, turning is usually the time when you hear a bad axle the most, since there is most stress on the CV, going straight, rarely as bad. I promise these aren't axles making this sound.

Does anyone know what would be near the output shaft on our fwd/4wd tranny's that could be creating a sound like this? It's not a throw out bearing, it's not the driveshaft and it's not wheel bearings.

It's getting to me. I'm going to try n see if I can find some front outer axle stubs and just run it in 4wd/rwd, or find a pull lever 4wd 5 speed to replace my old rump roast crappy mileage 4spd 4wd tranny, but I'd prefer finding a fix for it instead.

Thanks everyone

Edit: fixed a few words and left my phone's autocorrect to rump roast, seems fitting

Edited by boomgoon

You can try running it in gear on jackstands with the front wheels off. Just be careful, use good jackstands and chock the back wheels. You won't have to get under, just use a broom handle or a long dowel rod up to your ear and touch it up against the components to pinpoint where the sound is loudest. You may have to clamp down on one of the parking break levers on the caliper if it only wants to spin one side. 

Edited by Subaru Scott

So its not the roll pin on the axle. And it's not the axles. In 4wd with bad front axles I still get the bad axle sound. On mine in 4wd, no sound whatsoever This sound is there, and from stop to 15mph the sound progresses, slows down as I slow down, speeds up as I speed up until 15mph then it just stops. I've tried a pair of known good axles off my buddies gl wagon and I still get the sound but he doesn't.

I'm thinking it's in the transmission, so I'm on the lookout for a 5spd pull lever 4wd tranny. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can get my hands on some outer axle stubs and just run red. It's been going on awhile and I doesn't seem to be getting worse, but codswallop is it annoying and embarrassing as hell. Super loud when coming to a stop and taking off.

If anyone is local to Seattle with a 5spd pull lever 4wd tranny let me know

And thanks everyone again for helping

• 3 years later...

I am going to attempt to revive this thread as I have the exact same issue as mentioned above. Replaced the CV axles and still have a loud clicking sound while traveling at low speeds in 2WD. I have a replacement transmission but am holding off on swapping it out as I would like do an engine swap at the same time.