Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to find the Trans & Gas Filters

The trans filter is on the driver's side...looks just like an OIL filter. It's designed to last the life of the car. But if the fluid's never been changed it may be worth doing. IMHO, DO NOT just buy a Wix or other 'oil filter' - get the genuine Subaru filter.

The fuel filter is either by the driver's side strut tower or in the tank....not sure when that changed on Subarus....more searching and you'll get your answer...just Google it.

The trans filter is on the driver's side...looks just like an OIL filter. It's designed to last the life of the car. But if the fluid's never been changed it may be worth doing. IMHO, DO NOT just buy a Wix or other 'oil filter' - get the genuine Subaru filter.

The fuel filter is either by the driver's side strut tower or in the tank....not sure when that changed on Subarus....more searching and you'll get your answer...just Google it.

Thanks dash. Been Googling and getting nowhere (prob operator error). As far as the trans, are you referring to engine compartment? Same question for the gas filter. Trans fluid looks good. Bright red and smooth. Since I don't know about the previous owners car care habits I thought I'd be safe and spend a couple of bucks. I'm taking your advice on the filter and I will do the same if I need to top off the fluid.

No external fuel filter. They stopped that after 2004 in the Imprezas.

2006 is the first year they called for HP Transmission fluid. So I would recommend OE fluid only. Filter is on the side of the transmission, accessible from under the car.

Great. Saves me some searching. Any idea as to why the fuel filters are so often in tank now? I've never understood why they do it.

No external fuel filter. They stopped that after 2004 in the Imprezas.

???  Really??  I didn't know that.  For whatever reason I rarely ever get Imps in my shop......all OB and Frosties, a few older Legacy and a few old gens.   Of the hundreds of cars I service each year, for 8+ years now, I can count on one hand the # of Imprezas I've worked on.

is there any sort of serviceable filter or just the sock in the tank?  seems pretty dumb idea to me......right up there with "stretch on" A/C belts.

Edited by Gloyale

In regards to the AT Filter, as dash said, It's designed to last the life of the car. When pricing out the filter at my local dealer they said the same thing. My fluid is a nice red color with no leaks. I'm leaning towards not changing it out. Save money and effort. What do you folks think? Leave good enough alone or be my usual overkill self and do an R&R?

After'04/'05 they moved the fuel filters to the tank on all models. They are not a service item. They run about $70 from the dealer and you have to pull the fuel pump assembly and take it apart.

We change the AT filters along with the fluid. 60k or 30k severe service. Amsoil calls out the same filter for engine and trans so we use their filter since it's only $15. They have VERY thick casings and can take the trans fluid pressure unlike normal oil filters.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Recommendation:

-Do the standard (on here @ least)  Drain>Refill>Drive (thru all the gears a few miles) 3/Three times and be done with it....sounds like the Subaru ATF is recommended (required?). 

- As the fuel filter is in tank, find something else to obsess on...like the HG....

FWIW: I 'assume' the filter in the tank is a cost-saving/cutting measure. It's not really all that tough to access a fuel pump/sender/filter on a Subaru (or wasn't on these getting older models).

Edited by wtdash

Recommendation:

-Do the standard (on here @ least)  Drain>Refill>Drive (thru all the gears a few miles) 3/Three times and be done with it....sounds like the Subaru ATF is recommended (required?). 

- As the filter is in tank, find something else to obsess on...like the HG....

FWIW: I 'assume' the filter in the tank is a cost-saving/cutting measure. It's not really all that tough to access a fuel pump/sender/filter on a Subaru (or wasn't on these getting older models).

Gas filter is in tank not AT filter. Sounds kinda bassakwards to me. So change filter?

???  Really??  I didn't know that.  For whatever reason I rarely ever get Imps in my shop......all OB and Frosties, a few older Legacy and a few old gens.   Of the hundreds of cars I service each year, for 8+ years now, I can count on one hand the # of Imprezas I've worked on.

is there any sort of serviceable filter or just the sock in the tank?  seems pretty dumb idea to me......right up there with "stretch on" A/C belts.

03 was the last year for Legacy/Outback/Baja, 04 for Impreza Forester. No Subaru in 2005 or newer had a fuel filter.

Yep, just the sock in the tank, and they say it doesn't need to be replaced.

I don't know if they're just cutting costs on assembly. Or assuming that modern car owners neglect service, and therefore a fuel filter just becomes a clog point. Whatever the reason, that's pretty common these days with most manufacturers.

The factory Subaru filters are a fine stainless steel mesh with no paper in them. At least the ones for the first gen EJs, I never cut open any later ones.

The original filter is still on my daily with over 500k miles, never been changed.

I did have one plug up once on my EJ swapped houseboat after getting gas from a crappy marina. I just back-flushed it and put it back on. 

Since the filter media never degrades, it can only filter better as it collects particles. Up to the point that it no longer flows, of course.

The in-tank filters are like a corrugated paper filter material wound in a spiral.

We had an 02 WRX blow through it's filter (high volume pump) and push nasty gas tank crud into the 1000cc injectors. 21psi boost and 50% plugged injector. It split the cylinder wall like a banana.

The paper filter material becomes weak with age and too much differential pressure will blow a hole through it pushing crap into the injectors.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

The in-tank filters are like a corrugated paper filter material wound in a spiral.

We had an 02 WRX blow through it's filter (high volume pump) and push nasty gas tank crud into the 1000cc injectors. 21psi boost and 50% plugged injector. It split the cylinder wall like a banana.

The paper filter material becomes weak with age and too much differential pressure will blow a hole through it pushing crap into the injectors.

GD

yikes - how often do you feel it should be swapped?

GD

That really disappoints me with Subaru...