Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New head bolts for ea82 sohc?

The bolts will loosen if you put oil on the threads.  Then you get to take everything apart, over and over again, replacing the cylinder head gaskets over and over again.

Who is feeding you this gibberish? 

STOP listening to them and trying to spread misinformation please!

Thank you.

• Like 1

Who is feeding you this gibberish? 

STOP listening to them and trying to spread misinformation please!

Thank you.

I have tried it both ways and know for a fact that the cleaner the better.  You will never be able to get all of the oil out of the threads but they will hold position a lot longer and not loosen, if everything is dry. 47 ft-lbs of torque is no problem with dry threads.  It is even better to tighten them up, let them sit over night, and come back and retorque them the next day.

I got new ones ordered, dee2 provided accurate part numbers and match perfect. I know to clean Block with a thread chaser as original bolt holes are gunked up. I also always oil my bolts before installing. Thanks for the help peoples!

I have tried it both ways and know for a fact that the cleaner the better.  You will never be able to get all of the oil out of the threads but they will hold position a lot longer and not loosen, if everything is dry. 47 ft-lbs of torque is no problem with dry threads.  It is even better to tighten them up, let them sit over night, and come back and retorque them the next day.

You know for a fact? That is not a fact, only some crazy theory you dreamed up. Facts have proof to back them up. Where is your proof?

Here are facts:

Fact: A fastener which is lubricated will turn farther at a given torque vs. a dry one. Thereby drawing the attaching parts tighter together. Anyone can prove this by torquing a bolt down dry, marking it's position, then after lubricating and torquing to the same value, the bolt will have turned further.

Fact: Subaru specifies lubricating head bolts upon assembly. The torque spec the factory service manual states is for lubricated head bolts, not dry ones. If you torque it dry, it is NOT TIGHT ENOUGH!

Fact: Aluminum threads are very fragile. ANY high torque fastener in aluminum threads must be lubricated or the threads will gall. 

In my opinion, every fastener in aluminum needs to be lubricated, high torque or not. In fact, I use marine grease on EVERY fastener that goes into aluminum, or has even a remote chance of being exposed to moisture. I've been doing this for decades now. And guess what? None of them ever come loose on their own.

So I don't know what it is you're doing to make your head bolts come loose, but it has absolutely nothing to do with lubrication. And again, of course you're free to do whatever you want with your own vehicles, tear em up! But don't get on here giving bad advice like it's fact. You are free to discuss all the theory you like as well. Just make sure to include, "In my opinion", or "I believe" along with it.

• Like 2