Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New head bolts for ea82 sohc?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wagons

wagons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • prescott az

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

So my head bolts are pretty rough. Does anybody have a part number for new bolts? Will I just have to use a thread chaser and clean them up? Can I retrofit different ones?( not logical but still possible) thanks for the input

#2 Dee2

Dee2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • US

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

I would get new ones.  Any parts store should be able to help you.

#3 wagons

wagons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • prescott az

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

No parts stores carry them. Auto zone, O'Reilly or napa. Im hoping for a Subaru part number lol

#4 Dee2

Dee2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • US

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

this may help

http://www.ultimates...ad-bolt-part-s/

#5 wagons

wagons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • prescott az

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Dee2, you are the man! Thanks

#6 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

Clean them up with a utility knife.  Remove every speck of oil on both the bolt and washer with brake cleaner before reinstalling.  Same with the hole and the cylinder head face that the washers contact.

#7 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

Sorry, no. Clean everything, yes, but the bolts MUST be well oiled for a correct torque reading.

#8 idosubaru

idosubaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 23,415 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Yep lubricated. Not so much or in a way that it's squishing out and running down between block and gasket though.

#9 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

The bolts will loosen if you put oil on the threads.  Then you get to take everything apart, over and over again, replacing the cylinder head gaskets over and over again.

#10 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

To get the torque correct, the threads are oiled, per FSM directions.  Never had one get loose.

#11 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

The bolts will loosen if you put oil on the threads.  Then you get to take everything apart, over and over again, replacing the cylinder head gaskets over and over again.

Who is feeding you this gibberish? 

STOP listening to them and trying to spread misinformation please!

Thank you.

#12 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

Who is feeding you this gibberish? 

STOP listening to them and trying to spread misinformation please!

Thank you.

I have tried it both ways and know for a fact that the cleaner the better.  You will never be able to get all of the oil out of the threads but they will hold position a lot longer and not loosen, if everything is dry. 47 ft-lbs of torque is no problem with dry threads.  It is even better to tighten them up, let them sit over night, and come back and retorque them the next day.

#13 wagons

wagons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • prescott az

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

I got new ones ordered, dee2 provided accurate part numbers and match perfect. I know to clean Block with a thread chaser as original bolt holes are gunked up. I also always oil my bolts before installing. Thanks for the help peoples!

#14 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

I have tried it both ways and know for a fact that the cleaner the better.  You will never be able to get all of the oil out of the threads but they will hold position a lot longer and not loosen, if everything is dry. 47 ft-lbs of torque is no problem with dry threads.  It is even better to tighten them up, let them sit over night, and come back and retorque them the next day.

You know for a fact? That is not a fact, only some crazy theory you dreamed up. Facts have proof to back them up. Where is your proof?

Here are facts:

Fact: A fastener which is lubricated will turn farther at a given torque vs. a dry one. Thereby drawing the attaching parts tighter together. Anyone can prove this by torquing a bolt down dry, marking it's position, then after lubricating and torquing to the same value, the bolt will have turned further.

Fact: Subaru specifies lubricating head bolts upon assembly. The torque spec the factory service manual states is for lubricated head bolts, not dry ones. If you torque it dry, it is NOT TIGHT ENOUGH!

Fact: Aluminum threads are very fragile. ANY high torque fastener in aluminum threads must be lubricated or the threads will gall. 

In my opinion, every fastener in aluminum needs to be lubricated, high torque or not. In fact, I use marine grease on EVERY fastener that goes into aluminum, or has even a remote chance of being exposed to moisture. I've been doing this for decades now. And guess what? None of them ever come loose on their own.

So I don't know what it is you're doing to make your head bolts come loose, but it has absolutely nothing to do with lubrication. And again, of course you're free to do whatever you want with your own vehicles, tear em up! But don't get on here giving bad advice like it's fact. You are free to discuss all the theory you like as well. Just make sure to include, "In my opinion", or "I believe" along with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users