Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy 2-3 shift flare every time

Hi guys,

My 99 legacy has in the last couple of days developed an issue where everytime it upshifts from 2-3 it will free rev for a second and then engage. Happens everytime whether car is hot or cold. I've drained and filled with atf hp and it hasn't made a noticable difference and it doesn't give any codes using the 4eat "secret handshake". I also reset the ECU/TCM. Almost seems like an electric/solenoid issue as it isn't slipping just not executing the 2-3 shift properly. Any ideas before I bring it to a shop. It's only got 71k so hopefully nothing overly serious.

Thanks!

Couple of days before the change. The atf hp is backwards friendly or so I read. It's funny the manual says dex ii or iii the dipstick says dex ii and Subaru says hp.

At any rate the fluid seemed to improve all other functions but the issue with 2-3 is unchanged

Edited by drakehale33
  • Like 1

If it has the external spin-on filter you might consider changing that. Seems to me that I read about an issue several years ago with the ATF cooler in the radiator getting partially clogged and causing shifting problems and slipping, but it wasn't a widespread issue.

More than likely the clutch pack for 3rd is worn and nothing fluid related will change or fix that.

Could maybe be a sticking shift solenoid. A solenoid pack might not be too expensive from a u-pull-it yard, but it means draining the fluid and dropping the pan.

99 was a picky year for transmissions anyway, most have a problem with slow engagement from reverse to drive. usually better off to swap it with a 00-03 trans.